Wednesday 12 November 2008

Late Autumn Colours

Because of the inconvenience of the US presidential elections occurring during the night, and taking late night walks, my circadian rhythms are all over the place. In fact I currently running on East Coast time. Its not so much Jet Lag but Badger Lag.

Anyway, trying to get myself back to normal, I was really early so that I could get out for a walk to wake myself up. It was delightful but cold, an icy wind is blowing today. However, in the woods the trees provide a great deal of insulation from that wind.

As well as the delightful colours of the Beeches, Birches, Field Maples and of course the Oaks, the Hawthorn and the Holly are lit up with red berries. In addition because the leaves are falling, it is becoming easier to see the winter visitors that are arriving in numbers. I saw briefly a Field fare then a flock of waxwings feeding on the Hawthorn.

Later when I needed to go into town to the greengrocers, and the sun was bright, lighting up the russet hues on the trees making the journey a delightful one. On the way back I noticed that the River Derwent was rather swollen. It was up at least two feet. While not surprising as there has been a lot of rain in the past few days, I hope that we can have a few more dry days to ensure that we don't have a repeat of the flooding.

When I got back home, I noticed the Spider that I have been watching and filming. She has a cocoon filled with spiderlings, well not today, as they are out now. I was able to film one of them, and it was no easy task as the baby spiders are only a sixteenth of an inch long. But I did get the film. So soon I will post that here for you all to be bored by.

In the mean time, I will post this film of a Hover Fly feeding in close up.




No comments: