Saturday 29 November 2008

Redshanks and Positive people

When one of the local buses altered its route, I made a much needed discovery, a Laundry. While I have been saving for a washing machine, the washing machine fund kept on getting raided, that was how I paid for the camera. Thus I have been doing my washing by hand. But with the weather turning colder, my washing was coming off of my solar powered drying device, frozen solid.

Thus, yesterday I took a load of washing to the laundry. I had expected to do it myself but this is not a self service facility. After enquiring after the cost, for two loads it was fifteen pounds ($25), I decided to go ahead and let them do my washing. In some ways that was a relief as I had plenty of other jobs to do. Also in the Wood Mouse Dictionary DIY stands for Destroy It Yourself.

That job out of the way, I was able to get other chores done. I still have housework to do over the weekend, but by getting ahead a little today I was able to do something I wanted to.

Over a year ago, in a pub in town I was overheard talking to a friend about conversation work, and this man, a complete stranger asked me about what I did. A question I have been asking myself for years. Anyway he was part of a voluntary group near Durham that were looking to regenerate some land. Mainly for public access, but they also wanted to make it “Good for Wildlife”

Anyway, I gave him my email address and we have been talking about what they could do. While it has taken time, these things usually do, they are now ready to start making firm plans. Thus I was invited along to make a site visit. This was what I did on Friday afternoon.

I was quite impressed by the depth of their ambition. The site is a mess at the moment, it has been used as a fly tipping site and the local council seem to be fully on side too. They can see that with the community taking ownership of the site, it may be that the council will no longer have to keep paying out to clean up the site. Also, as the site is very marshy I suggested that a pond could be a good idea. Well talk about people being positive, the chap from the council was in favour and said they could donate drainage pipes to help with the drainage. Then another member of the voluntary group said that he worked for a small building company, and because of the credit crunch they have two young men that are training to do their Digger licence. But with a lack of work they were likely not to be able to complete this. However, if they donated their time then they could complete their training and the work could be done.

Further, was the problem of fencing. Now I suggested that rather than build a fence they plant a hedge, again I was really pleased that the idea was supported, and even before the group left, some were collecting hawthorn berries so that the seeds can be grown on for this. Also I said that they could probably get some of the plants they need from the Great North Forest project.

It was really uplifting to be with so many positive people. Well it makes a change from proclaiming Were Doomed!

As I am on a positive role here is some film of Redshanks




No comments: