Friday 28 August 2009

Life in a small Community

As anyone knows the smaller the community the faster news will travel. I have been wondering just how long it would take before folks in the village started asking about my better half. Well on the bus going into Consett today were my neighbours and I was asked directly do I have a “Girlfriend” As one neighbour had been told by someone else that I had. Well I could not lie and told them yes. Yet this amuses me as the same neighbour had been out working on his car when K had last visited and could have seen us kissing a greeting on my doorstep. Its amazing just how observant some folks are.

While talking about observation, today has been the best Red Kite day that I have had for ages. With travelling here and there I saw more than ten of these birds at various points then three in the air together as I was heading home. It is strange that some folks have become so accustom to seeing them that they no longer seem excited by the sight of them. Perhaps its the child in me but I still get a thrill to see them.

I had to go into Consett as I needed to get some fresh Veg and to visit the local Butchers. As I will be feeding my better half tomorrow, I needed to get something that will delight her pallet too. I am quite enjoying cooking for someone special and I have not poisoned her yet!

It was good to see that the local Green grocers are starting to get the new season English Apples in. While they do have imported crops too, the simple fact is that when they can they do stock local or at least British food as it sells better. Having just yesterday been to the supermarket for the goods I cant get elsewhere, I was disappointed to see that there was not any of the Fruit or Vegetables that were British. Therefore all the fresh produce was imported and carrying the hefty carbon footprint that incurs.

Adding to my delight, I went to see the HOP Garden (High Spen Organic Project). The reason was that because of something I am doing tomorrow, I was able to offer them some polystyrene blocks that they can use for insulation. It was great to know that what is waste from one community group will be used by another. The delight though comes from learning they now are able to sell their produce and I can support the HOP garden by getting a few items from them.

I am expecting to have a busy weekend, a mixture of business and pleasure, but no matter how busy I think it will be a good and pleasant one.

No comments: