Thursday 27 August 2009

Trying to watch the Migration

Yesterday, I headed for one of the public hides in the area. I was planning to stick around all day to see if there were any birds that were starting their migration. The likely hood of seeing anything different or unusual is very slim but keeping a watch on this location I would stand a reasonable of seeing anything if they are about. It may mean repeated visits over the next six to eight weeks, but I have the patience to do that.

However, while I had spent several hours waiting and as there had not been anything that was unusual, I had not filmed anything. As I really want to do more than just shoot to record, I am looking to be more creative with my filming. One of my failings is that I can be a little over enthusiastic and try and film everything while I should try to film more creatively. Well that is what I am trying to do.

There had been a few others coming and going but no one stayed for more than an hour. Beyond reporting on the common species that are regularly seen, no one was reciprocating much information back. With some birders they only seem prepared to tell of anything unusual if you can tell them of something on a like for like basis.

As this particular location Osprey has been seen in the past, I am there in the hope of seeing one but it really is going to be luck and effort that will give me the chance of seeing one. While telling the other birders excited some, one told me that I was wasting my time. Well maybe I am, but you never know what may turn up and only by watching will you see what's travelling through.

Then comes lunch time and I was happily alone and the rain was keeping the birds hidden. So I stepped outside for a smoke. I am reducing my addiction with the aim of giving up, but I have not given up yet. While I was there a whole group of young people descended. I have no problem with young people, but this was a group of about twenty, and there were clearly not dedicated birders. Therefore I shot back into the hide to protect my equipment. My camera was set up on the tripod ready, and my bag was sitting open. They had made a bee line for this, and while I was able to stop them touching it, I was also concerned that they may not have the right to be there.

The problem was that I just got a confrontational attitude thrown at me when I asked who they were and did they have permission to be there. Then finally after five minutes or so three adults (Teachers or youth workers) came in. It was clear they were stressed, but instead of talking politely to me I was told I had to get out.

Now I know that when there are school visits to the hides the public have to vacate the hides, but schools are closed for the summer. Therefore I was rather confused by the demand. Also the “Responsible Adults” were little more than young adults themselves and were just demanding I leave without explaining who they were or why. I did remain calm but it was only when I said that I was prepared to call the police did they finally explain that this was a youth group.

Now this incident raises some interesting questions as while I can understand that adults need to be CRB checked before working with young people, this group were probably 14 to 16 year old's. They were in a public place and it is reaching the stage where every adult is seen as suspect. I can almost see it reaching the stage where no adult can be in the same public space with a child unless they can prove they are not a child abuser. It really is mad.

Also these young people were not under any real form of control and where running around with no regard for others. I would like to know who was in need of protection me or them?

I had to end my vigil early and I headed home. But feeling that life was being far from fair to me yesterday.

No comments: