Wednesday 9 September 2009

Buses and Kites


As I had some travelling to do today, before eleven I found myself at the bus stand in the village. I looked up and there was one of the Red Kites. As I watched that bird, I saw another come into view. While they were not quartering as a pair, it is likely that they are a pair. I would loved to have watched for longer but I had a connection to catch.

Had my timings been correct I would have had forty minutes or so before I had to make the connection, but I screwed up and I saw the bus that I was supposed to be catching as it went by the bus from my village. It was not a great problem as while I had an appointment to keep, I still had plenty of time. Also while I say that I had messed up, I had tried to look up the timetable on the web, I just could not find the service listed. Therefore I had to rely upon memory, never a good thing at the best of times.

So I went and did what I needed to do in Consett and went for a coffee and a teacake! Then as I had quite a wait for the bus, I was sitting outside of the bus station and in the air I saw a Red Kite. That is only the second time I have seen them over the town, and it is a good sign that they are spreading out naturally, increasing their range. What ever else the day was going to bring, today was definitely a Red Kite Day.

When I returned inside the Bus station, I noticed that the local MP is holding a public meeting about Public Transport. As my regular reader will know, trying to use Public Transport here can be unreliable at the least, so I was interested in seeing if I could attend. While I have other tasks to do I think I can make the meeting, if the buses are on time. The main reason I had needed to travel in to Consett was to get the times of this service, it links me with my better half's home, so it was important for that reason, but as it is not a service from the major bus companies, the timetable is not on the web. But now armed with these times, the service will be of use.

So I took my normal bus to the point where this route diverts to Hexham. I have been past this point so many times and I have wanted to stop and look at the church there as it is beautiful. I did not have my camera with me, so I do not have a picture. But it is a very attractive building. One of the older residents of my village told me that she got married there and as she only lived a hundred yards away thought that hiring a car to take her there was a waste. I suggested that she could have used a wheelbarrow. Well the joke has stuck and whenever I see her she asks if I have been delivering any brides to their weddings.

Anyway it was nice to get a closer look at the church and especially the wildlife that inhabits gods acre. As is traditional there is a covered gate and next to it a yew tree. As the tree is fill of fruits too the birds, mainly Blackbirds were eating their fill of the fruits.

I got into Hexham in plenty of time so to be relaxed for my appointment. As it was medical tests I could have been stressed by this, but I was fairly relaxed. While I have to await the results of Blood tests, I was given a clean bill. The only aspect that was difficult, was I had expected to provide a urine sample. As medical people always seem to like taking the P*** So I had avoided going to the loo. When the blood was being taken I asked if a water sample was needed and was told no. But I was able to visit the bathroom very soon after. The moral, never second guess a medical person.

I was able to meet my better half and we went for a wander and she showed me a few of her favourite places. We had a great coffee and an Ice Cream. I even got to see where she works. But in one shop I spotted a little carved Wooden Mouse. That is now sitting on my desk by the computer. Or is it typing this posting? Well if my writing starts to improve then it must be.

We waited at the bus station in Hexham for my last bus home. It was late and I worried that I had missed it, even though I was there ten minutes ahead of time. For me it was reassuring that others were waiting for the bus too as it meant I had not missed it. But as the bus was a different company no one had any information. Had the bus been cancelled?

It turned out that children on the bus had broken a window and a replacement vehicle had to be sent, therefore the bus was nearly half an hour late. Well at least I got home but the delay meant I missed the connection so I had even longer waits. I will have to make a special effort to attend that public meeting regarding public transport.

Even though I have had difficulties with the buses today, it has been a Red Kite day.

No comments: