Monday 7 September 2009

Madeira Cake


No matter what folks circumstances are, when anyone significant comes in to your life, we all need to make adjustments to accommodate their needs, desires and tastes. So it is with my better half. I would never have bought cans of pop (soda) especially from a well known Atlanta Brand, but I now have to add these to my shopping list. Also as my better half not only does not drink coffee but the odour makes her bilious, I have to avoid drinking it or making it.

Both are not difficult adjustments to make, I just have to think her needs as well as mine. While I mainly see her at the weekends, it is often issues around food that I am having to think most about. Equally, while geographically we live relatively close to each other, travelling to meet each other can be tricky and the connections poorly timed. Therefore, when this weekend when K came to ruffle the fur of this Wood Mouse, she had to spend three hours travelling or waiting. The last bus then broke down. As this is something I have railed about before, I can understand her frustrations. However after the bus received some counselling it recovered and she was only ten minutes or so latter than expected.

I was able to take her for a stroll in the Woods, as I met her part way, and we walked back through the woods to my village from the next. It was nice to share this, but while she has not yet suffered from my irritating habit of stopping to look at all the weird things I can spot along the way, she was happy to share my passion. Also while the weather was dry, she enjoyed the stroll, but I doubt that she will be joining me when I am out in foul or cold weather. I had to put the heating on for her this weekend, even though I personally was not cold. We will have to discover where the compromise lays on this one, I can really wear any less clothes in the house as it is, but we will find a way of keeping me cool and her warm.

I don't want to create a false impression though, as when we are together laughter is the sound that is the soundtrack to our times together. I have laughed more in the last four weeks than I have the past four years. I just hope it lasts, and while we can both be serious when we need to be, we both seem to be able to get the other laughing in no time at all. Though there was one point where I told her that I would have to sack her as Girlfriend when she told me she wanted to watch X Factor. I can see that I will have to use that time to do something else. Unfortunately this week I had just finished cooking dinner when the programme started.

Talking of cooking, I am really enjoying cooking for her, and we seem to have similar tastes in food too, so I can be creative and productive as well. As K had to head off for part of Sunday, I was able to be creative in the kitchen and when she got back I had our evening meal more or less prepared. The only question mark was if the Chilli Con Carne was not to spicy for her pallet. It passed and she enjoyed it, and while it could have been hotter, getting the balance right to suite both our tastes will take time, but so far she has not refused any of my offerings. I also had the time to make a cake, to celebrate our first month together.

Hey I don't care if folks think this is a soppy posting, as I am happy with this part of my life and I will share this from time to time.

No comments: