Sunday 26 August 2007

An Amazing Experience

At this moment I am sitting nursing a myriad of small cuts and grazes from having walked through some very overgrown brambles and such like. The reason why I put myself through such torture is simply that I was tracking some of our not frequently seen wildlife. Although to be precise, it is because these rare sightings have been seen that I was looking for them.

I knew where to look, as I have been on the trail of the Roe Deer for a while now, and I got to see exactly where they were. It was too early in the morning to take pictures when I first got myself into position. But I thought that as I had not disturbed them I would wait and see if they would stay until there was enough light.

Laying down on brambles is not my idea of fun at the best of times, however I was close to getting a picture, and I just needed to wait about an hour for the sun to rise over the trees and illuminate the area where the deer were. From my hidden position, I was careful not to make any sudden movements, nor did I want to make any sounds either. But after twenty minutes or so I had my camera ready and the deer were still there, totally unaware of me, the wind had been in my favour when I approached and I just needed to keep still and quiet.

After about forty minutes I could see the light levels were increasing, my light meter was saying that I could get a quarter second exposure, but as I had only brought a monopod with me, a tripod being to cumbersome, I knew nothing would come out but a blurred shape if that. My heart was pounding as knew that this was likely to be my best chance for ages.

Then the deer started to move away a little bit. I could still get a reasonable image, but the light was still to dim. If I changed to a longer focal length lens, I would also need more light still as that lens was a slower one and with the increased chance of camera shake, a higher shutter speed too. I decided to wait it out, I was amazed that I had been able to observe the Deer for what must be close on to an hour, when all of a sudden they bolted away.

Was it something I had done? I didn’t think I had made any sound. It was not until I stood up did I realise that it was a woman walking her dog that had startled the Deer.

Well another time perhaps, I did try and track them, hence the lacerations, but their stronghold was to well concealed in the undergrowth for me to be able to make any silent progress. At least I can be sure that they are wary enough of humans to remain safe.

Whilst I didn’t get any pictures I got an amazing experience.


No comments: