Thursday 16 August 2007

The Intellectual and….


For my sins and since becoming involved with conservation in my local area, I sit on various committees. While it is the least favourite aspect of my duties, it does mean that I can have a positive input into the discussions regarding what is happening. However, I enjoy meeting with other people who share my passion for the local woods and the surrounding countryside. Last night for instance it was great to hear one of the local farmers talking with passion about seeing four of the red kites, quartering a neighbour’s field, as they were cutting corn. For me it was fascinating as he detailed behaviour that I have never observed myself but have only read of in books, the lucky chap.

Attending these meetings also have another advantage as it provides me the chance to take a regular route into my woods and see what is happening at various points where I have seen wildlife previously. Frequently I will see signs of activity and occasionally some of the wildlife its self. One of the other advantages of this is people will tell me of what they have seen too, and this all helps build up a picture of the vitality of the local habitats and the environment in general.

Last nights meeting was one of the better ones, as we covered a lot of ground and in a very positive manner. Further, the concusses of the people at the meeting was very much in favour of a much more conservationist approach to the work and activities in the woods. It is when we have everyone trying to find workable solutions to some of the problems that tackling the intellectual aspects of conservation can be so worthwhile.

Then today it was back to doing the practical. Rather than just do work on my beloved woods, I have started doing other conservation work as well. This helps me re-acquire skills, as much of the work will be the type of work that I have done before. Also it will allow me to discover the different approaches to solving similar problems, which other organisations use. Additionally by working on different habitats I get to see a wider range of wildlife.

For example today’s work was grassland management at a pond and wetlands site. It’s a nature reserve on a former quarry site that is rich in reptiles and amphibians. Cutting the grass and removing the sward and vegetation to keep the soil denuded of nutrients thus providing the perfect conditions for many wild flowers. This vegetative cover provides the habitat that voles, mice and birds need as well as the reptiles and amphibians. Further because of the wild flowers, it attracts numerous insects that can feed the birds, amphibians, reptiles etc.

While it was a bit windy the weather was great and the work while hard was not arduous and we could see results as the work progressed. However, while we saw no small mammals there were plenty of Toads and frogs to be found as we raked the grass up.

There were plenty of volunteers attending too, so that a number of objectives were fulfilled. This included litter picking, a job that I am trying to get all conservation organisations to call "Womballing", as well as trimming back some of the trees along a main path to make access safe and easy.

For me though the high light of the day was getting this picture of a Common Sympetrum Dragonfly Sympetrum sanguineum as it rested for a moment on some ones hi-visibility coat.

No comments: