Tuesday 21 August 2007

Two Unexpected Encounters

One of the delights of any form of wildlife watching is the unexpected encounter. Last night was a perfect example; this mouse had gone to one of the pubs in the village to see someone. Unfortunately he was not there, so I moved to another hostelry and had a couple of pints of the Irish stuff. Then because of work that the new owners are doing there, I offered the loan of some tools that could assist making the job easier. The offer accepted I went home to get them, while marching home I saw and heard an owl in a tree. I didn’t have time to stop but once I had given the tools to the people in the pub I headed off and took a look for this barn owl.

It was still there, and it was busy looking for food. I then spent the next two and a half hours following its movements around the village as it hunted the many greens in the village. It appeared to be hunting with its mate, but all my efforts to locate the other owl were unfruitful. It was one of those situations where I wished I had a camera with me. While I normally do, I had left it at home deliberately as I didn’t want to take it to the pub. I will not be making that mistake again.

Then today, I went off in search of the Roe Deer that have been seen in the woods. With several sightings by others, and my own sightings, I knew the territory they inhabit. Finding signs of them was very easy, not just footprints, but droppings and quite fresh ones too. As well as the less obvious signs like the tree that bares the marks of the buck deer rubbing the tree with its secretions.

While I did not see any of the deer, I did get the glimpse of something but I cannot be sure it was a deer and it could have been a fox, the signs of them were clear. However following their trail lead me off the beaten track into places where very few people venture. This caused me to encounter some Pleurotus ostreatus better known as Oyster Mushrooms. They are ready for picking and had I needed them for my meal tonight I would have picked a few. But I have my meal tonight already planned. Therefore I leave them and I know where they are the next time I want a few.








No comments: