Sunday 9 December 2007

Bullfinch



The other morning after spending another night under the stars watching the badgers, I decided that I would go to a particular spot where I stood a good chance of seeing the Roe Deer. As I was already cold, a bone numbing cold, I knew that while I waited and watched I would have some shelter from the wind. Unfortunately the Deer failed to make an appearance, I suspect that as I was shivering so much that I was failing to be as quiet as I thought I was. Therefore, I failed again to get the pictures I was hoping for.

Because I was so cold I decided to head for one of the bird hides, where at least I would be out of the wind that was draining the warmth from my body. It worked wonders for me, as although tired, I was delighted to see the flocks of birds, particularly the Bullfinches that were using this feeding station.

My initial pictures were a little blurred as I was still shivering a bit, but as I warmed up I was able to keep the camera still to get some cracking shots.

This stop on my sojourn home was welcome as I was able to regain some of my body heat, and I had some good memories to take home with me. When I finally got to bed, I slept for a full twelve hours straight. While watching any wildlife nocturnally has its problems, one of my problems has been solved by the gift I was given of a pen that has a red LED light in it so that I can see to take notes without disturbing the badgers and foxes.

It’s rather funny but several people have asked me why study an animal like the Badger, don’t we already know about them? Well as I will be showing in a latter posting, no we don’t and it’s only from real observations can we really learn.



No comments: