Friday 21 December 2007

Protecting the Vulnerable


Back in the spring, I don’t know if you can remember that far back, I had the rare opportunity to see a pair of Hen Harriers as they tried to establish a nest in one of the felled areas in my local wood. I was surprised to see them and knowing how rare they are, I contacted the RSPB. Unfortunately in no time at all the birds abandoned the nest and site because of disturbance.

However, less than a week later I received a telephone call telling me that the pair I had seen trying to nest were nesting again. Further, I was asked if I wanted to help protect and guard the nest. Under strict rules of secrecy that would make the government jealous (Especially HMRC), I started aiding the effort that was staged to safeguard the nesting pair. Even before posting this I had to get permission to say anything.

Eventually the Hen Harriers raised five chicks and made the experience of being in the cold and wet of summer worthwhile. However, this is all just background to what happened today. During my stint as slave to the birds, I met a chap who does more than watch the birds, he often takes in injured or sick birds of pray. Further as he helps police and animal charities with gathering evidence of wildlife crimes, I can’t say too much about him other than he is an amazing man.

Anyway, while on my guard duty, we talked about the problems of protecting wildlife and he acknowledged he was sad that because of the attitudes of many in our society, we couldn’t disclose the locations of rare nests etc, because of the few that are determined to destroy beauty. It was encouraging to hear him, as I am always worried about talking about the wildlife I encounter in case some of the oafs who would harm it read my postings too. But he assured me that the more that the lovers of diverse fellow inhabitants of this planet know of what’s out there and why we need to protect them, the less opportunities the brainless ones will have to destroy habitats and individuals.

Well yesterday I got a telephone call from him, did I want to do something really special? I jumped at the chance. So up and out before even the milkman arrives, I was taken to a secret location with two Tawny owls that had been nursed back to fitness. They had been injured by either a shotgun or an air rifle, and had not been able to fly.

So I got the chance to handle a wild owl and with a mixture of delight and regret, I saw this owl fly off and disappear into the trees.





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just catching up on your blog for the week-good stuff as always and Happy Humbug day to you! :)

You did post a pic on 360 so maybe your swearing redneck followed you from there...

I hope you read my blog occasionally even though it is still yahoo.
MsTree