Sunday 23 December 2007

Old Friends and New Beginnings

When I was younger and worked in the photographic industry, I worked for a company that carried out the photo processing services for The British Antarctic Survey. Via this work as well as getting to see many amazing images, I got to know a couple of the scientists who lived in this frozen wilderness. There were times when talking to these people when I really did think that in their hands that part of the planet was safe.

However as can happen, I lost touch. Then in the last couple of months something remarkable happened, the husband of one of the people I knew then, recognised my descriptions of watching badgers in Epping Forest, and realised who I am. So he emailed me.

Yesterday, I had a rather nice lunch with her and as well as catching up on what has happened in our lives but it also emerges that she was in Bali for the Climate Change conference. One interesting fact that I gleaned was that one of the NGOs were making a “Fossil of the Day” award to the delegate who was being most obstructive. I wonder what country won that one?

One important commitment we made, apart from a commitment to stay in touch, was that she is going to take me whale watching, she is involved in a project monitoring citations. So I will have to get my sea legs out of the cupboard.

While it was great to catch up with an old friend, it was also disheartening to hear just how much the climate is affecting the habitat that is Antarctica.

Although I am looking forward and I was able to run my current idea past her. I have been thinking of trying to record some of the sounds of the wildlife that I encounter. One of the aspects of watching wildlife that people, who do their nature watching from an armchair, is just how much noise animals can make. Often when out watching, or trying to watch is a more accurate description, the badgers I have a symphony of sounds around me. Owls calling, the sounds of the badgers snuffling in the earth, even mice and voles make sounds as they are moving about. Thus, I have been looking at recording some of the sounds.

However, I just didn’t know how to do it. Therefore, I went to another friend to learn what I would need to do. I discover that it need not be that expensive either. Therefore I have already started obtaining some of the equipment I will need. While this will not be happening just yet, I am thinking of producing a monthly Podcast with news and stuff regarding Natural History and Wildlife watching. My friend said that she was willing to be interviewed for one or two of them.

So while I thought this last year had been busy, I guess that I will be kept even busier in the coming year.



No comments: