Thursday 6 March 2008

Handing Victory to the Republicans?


All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights.
They are endowed with reason and conscience and
should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.

So goes Article One of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, I just want you all to pause a moment and reread what that says.


Over here across the pond, it has been intriguing to watch the race for the nomination of the candidates for the election for the next president of the US. All this and we still have the actual election itself to come.

However, amid all the rhetoric about the real possibility of either a Black man or a woman becoming president there has been one thing that people seem to be forgetting and that of the election itself. In the media over here, that seems to have been forgotten and the way its all being reported makes it sound as though either Barack Obama or Hillary Clinton will be the next president. However, while I can see that the American people cant wait to get rid of Bush, it is by no means a foregone conclusion that the Democrats will win the election.

The problem as I see it is this, no matter what form of words are used to say that all people are equal, in America there will be some people that will not tolerate a black man as president. It is the same over here, I am not saying that we are any more enlightened over here and I hope you can now see why I started this posting with Article one of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.

I don't know who of the two democrats would make the better president, but I do know that if Barack Obama did get the nomination it will hand victory to the republicans. I am sad to write this, as race should not be an issue.

In an ideal world it would not be, but the reality is that race still matters. I have come to this conclusion from hearing reports from the media over here and more importantly from media over there.



No comments: