Thursday 13 March 2008

Woodcock


While I do believe in having the freedom to roam, that has to be balanced with the rights of the owners of the land. Therefore I very pleased when I got permission to access the land owned by one of the farmers that abuts Chopwell wood. However as the farmer has sheep that are due to lamb shortly, that direct access has to wait until the lambing is over.

Often just by talking to these people I find that they can provide me with valuable information regarding wildlife activity. Thus armed I went out very early this morning to see if I could see Hares. One of the areas where they are active is right on fields that border the wood. Therefore, I could stay in the cover of the trees to wait for them. That required getting down to the location before dawn.

As high winds and gales were forecast, I had no idea if I would be able to carry this out, so I set the alarm for three AM, and went to bed. There was wind and rain, but I judged that the winds were not dangerous. Walking through the woods at night can be magical, however this early morning I really did feel spooked as every creak of a bough made me nervous. However the noise from the wind and the trees enabled me to walk to within ten feet or so of three Roe Deer. They didn't see or hear me, nor I them until I was on them. I switched on the camera but I guess it was the sound of the flash charging that alerted them to me and they disappeared.

I got to the area I needed to be and set about finding a suitable location to wait. I had already scouted out the area and I knew of a perfect spot, but in the dark rediscovering that point was a bit more tricky. But I did find it and set myself up ready for the long wait. I had about two hours before dawn and almost immediately I could hear a woodcock calling. I know that there are woodcock in the wood as I have seen them, I have nearly stepped on them, but what was puzzling me was where the low croaking call was coming from, it was above and in front of me.


Now from what I could remember this nocturnal bird did its display flight in the evening, I have previously gone looking to see it. Therefore, I was surprised to find it going on in the small hours of the morning. As the pre dawn light gathered I could just make out the Woodcock on its display flight, known as a Roding (yes I had to look that up). While I could not see any I guessed that there must be a female near by.

As the video can film in very low light I set up and waited for the sky to lighten enough but the Woodcock disappeared before there was enough light. As the days lengthen I may get the chance to film it latter in the spring.

With the Woodcock gone I settled down to wait to see if the Hares turned up. Well after three and half hours I realised they were not going to appear. So while I didn't get what I came to see I did get a pleasant surprise instead.


Photo Credit to Eurasian Woodcock (Scolopax rusticola)Sweden© Jörgen Wiklund



No comments: