Tuesday 11 March 2008

The Squirrels the Star

Today I had been ready to batten down the hatches as overnight I had been expecting a storm to hit. Therefore I was rather surprised to find that while it was persistently precipitating there was not the gales that had been forecast. I later learned that this was because the centre of the low pressure stuck over us in the North East, so while the South West got battered, we escaped. For Now as another one is on the way.

However, this meant that I did not have to confine myself to barracks and my day was free. So I decided to get into town and get some more tapes for the video. I have already nearly filled one, and I wanted to make sure I was free to film whenever I needed or wanted to. It has been a while since I went into town where I did not have an appointment to keep. Therefore the bus journey felt much more relaxed. This was further enhanced by my sighting two Red Kites low over one of the fields just after leaving the village. Any day I see the Kites is a good day.


I got back home armed with five tapes, and following a quick pasta lunch, decided I would venture forth. I went to a location where I though I stood a good chance of filming some small birds, tits and such like. Also since I obtained the extended charge batteries for the camera, I knew I would not be limited in the way I have previously.

On getting to my desired location I was spoilt for choice as the birds were there in numbers. However, that still doesn't make the process of filming them any easier, I got a lot of footage of the birds flying out of frame. Why cant these birds take direction? So typical of actors, temperamental!


That said I did get some quite good footage, including a Dunnock and a Yellowhammer. I also got some footage of a cheeky squirrel that just longs to be in the movies.


No comments: