Friday 14 March 2008

Oystercatcher


There are some days when everything just seems to go right. Today was one of those days. As I have been spending so many nights in the wood lately, I overslept this morning. I had wanted to be up and out before the sun rose, but that wasn't to be today. This lack of beauty sleep goes a long way to explaining many things.

Therefore I changed my plan a little bit as I was hoping to go to a particular location to film the Deer. As I knew that I would have already missed them, I went to another location, a large local pond that is a nature reserve and home to many water and wading birds.
The hide here is a good one but as there are no windows on entering I need to open one of the flap to allow light in. Normally the sound of this disturbs any birds or wildlife near the hide. Today however it did not and just on the small island in front of the hide was a pair of Oystercatcher.

Now to have them this close is rare, so I as quickly as I could prepared the camera. I worked quietly, with the emphasise on remaining quite as if I rushed and made any noise I would loose the opportunity.

I was surprised that they stayed and I got my day off with about five or six minutes of film of them. I stayed for some time and shot another half an hour or so of film of various birds. Including Tufted Duck, Canada Geese and Coots.

Well I reached the point where I could not get anything else so I decided to head off elsewhere. Now as my regular reader knows that I am more than a bit of an odd ball, and I am aware that I do some things, some activities, that most people think eccentric. Therefore as I walked to my second location of the day, I stopped to count the molehills along the way. While doing this I had not one but two passing cars stop to ask what I was doing. I told them counting Molehills, that generated some strange looks.

As I was approaching my second location I stopped and filmed a Robin that was singing away at his hearts content to attract his mate. I got a nice long sequence of him until he decided he liked the sound of the reply he was getting.

I settled down again and while I got many of the frustratingly short film of many of the tits who fly off at the sight of a camera, unless its David Attenborough we don't want to know!
However I got some nice footage of the yellowhammers, who look fantastic in their breading plumage.


All in all a great day, then on the bus I saw five kites four males one female doing their courtship display. I want to bottle this day and keep it forever.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

what a pretty bird! Our returning spring birds are a bit disoriented with all the snow-flocks of robins have been pecking the old apples (for worms or the apple?) and today my daughter saw the eastern phoebe that nests under the eaves has returned-an insect eater, I wonder what they will eat in the meantime? Although, I have seen small flies in the maple sap jugs at the end of the season, so hopefully they will find enough to subsist for the meantime...Tree