Saturday 8 March 2008

Otters and Water Voles


Today I wanted to go down to the river to see if I could see and hopefully film the Otters. I would have preferred to have gone down at first light, but other aspects of a normal life intruded and I had to wait until a caller visited in the morning. So I went in to my office to check my email, as I was waiting for the system to boot up, I looked at the sky and there at quite an altitude at least 750 feet was a Red Kite being mobbed by a cloud of crows. The contrast and the altitude showed the wingspan of the Kite off to full advantage. The grace and the effortless flight was a real treat to start the day with.

Once the man from the gas company had carried out the safety inspection of the meter, I was free to get out into the wood. I knew exactly where I wanted to go, and headed straight for the spot. As the rainfall has been so low so far this year, I could head for a location that is normally inaccessible. Even so the footing is not that good and I needed to step carefully. As I was approaching my chosen vantage point I saw an otter swimming up the river towards me.
I quickly set up but the otter had disappeared on the far bank. I was not in the perfect position but I had the camera ready all I needed to do was wait. I knew that it was possible that the otter had seen me, but at least the wind was blowing in the right direction. As I waited I was presented with a dilemma. I knew the otter was hidden in the undergrowth, I could just make out her tail, but I could also see a Water Vole swimming upstream towards me. If I moved the camera to film the water vole, I would lose the otter. So I kept my nerve and the camera stayed on the spot where the otter was hiding. I could see she was moving along behind the bush, reeds and grass.

It is at times like these that I learn just why these otters are so difficult to see. She knew I was there and was carefully keeping the vegetation between herself and me. All the time I could see the Water Vole swimming up the river. Partly by listening and partly from seeing the otters tail I kept my eyes on where the otter was. Then suddenly there was a plop as another Water Vole entered the water, this gave the otter the opportunity to do the same and she dived and was gone. Realising that my chance had gone, I swung the camera towards the voles only to see them disappear on the other side of the river. I waited a while but there was no sign of them appearing. So I moved to the location I had been heading for.

I settled down and waited and waited, I stayed for over four hours but no sign of either the otters or the voles. I did try being a arty and filmed the river, but I did not get a single frame of them. As there is heavy rain and high winds forecast, when the rain became more steady than a drizzle, I decided I had better move. Heavy rain could cause me to become cut off. This is why this location can be so good for seeing wildlife as it is genuinely undisturbed. However, while I do venture forth into difficult locations, I am also sensible about not taking risks.

Therefore I started extricating myself from that location. I wanted to have a look at a couple of other places where it is likely that other wildlife will be active. It was disappointing to see a large volume of rubbish in one part of the wood, had I not been carrying all the equipment I would have collected some of it but that will have to await another day. What lifted my spirits was seeing some real signs of spring Lesser Celandine and Hawks beard both in flower. I could see that there is the possibility for the next few months finding me very busy as new life springs forth.


The picture is of the cliffs known as the Crags it doesn't take a lot of imagination to realise how difficult the access was to my location today.



No comments: