Friday 9 May 2008

Dippers on the River

On Tuesday when I saw the weather forecast, I knew I wanted to be up and out early the following day. By early, I am talking about before sunrise. As the night sky was going to be clear, following a warm spring day, a mist was going to form. While this would be quickly burnt off by the sun, it was likely to make the wood and the river a magical place, and visually interesting. Further, it is the way that this mist deadens sound and reduces visibility that I most wanted to use.

I have been observing the Dippers down by the river. Like so many species, they are creatures of habit especially during the breading season. Therefore I wanted to use the vale of mist to enable me to get close and set up the camera to film the dippers. By setting up the camera so it overlooked a known point that the Dippers use, I stood a good chance of getting some good footage.

The walk though the wood to the river was an aural delight, and I dare say I could have stopped and filmed any number of birds as I headed towards the Dippers Territory. When I got to the point on the river where I know a pair have established a territory, I was greeted by the sight of one of them already sitting on a rock in the river. I set up and started filming straight away, expecting the bird to flee as I was not that well hidden, but I got a long sequence before this male noticed me.

I was pleased to have something so quickly, but I still intended to follow my plan. I set up the camera, and I moved off and watched. I could switch on the camera remotely so I pressed my form against a tree reducing my chances of being observed.

I did not have to wait to long before the Dipper alighted on the perch I was observing. I started the camera rolling, and as I did I realised that just behind me a group of Roe Deer had come down to the river to drink. I dared not move. While I had another camera with me, it was in my bag that was sitting at the base of the tree on the other side of me. So I just stood and watched. All three females were in pristine condition, having just shed their grey winter coats and were resplendent in their red summer coats. However I was also trying to keep an eye on the Dipper, and I saw the other half of the pair arrive, the female I think.

I wanted to adjust the zoom, but if I moved I knew the Deer would scamper. So I missed getting the pair together. I waited patiently as the Deer drank and as they started to move off one appeared to catch my scent and they bounded off. If I can get similar conditions and the right place to set up, I hope that I will be able to film them drinking. I may need to work by setting up on the other bank, but this requires a little more thought. Further, as I have not previously seen any signs of the Deer being there, I will need to ensure that this is a regular location for them.

In the time that I had allowed the Deer to move on I had lost track of the Dippers. Searching yielded no further sightings, and while the mist had aided me initially, it now hampered my relocating them. So I decided that it would be better to try again another day.


With the film I wanted, I had a pleasant walk back through the forest. Its been a while since I went via this particular route and its a delight to see the trees bursting their buds and spring flowers in bloom. The delightful thing about experiencing any morning like this is not the film or pictures, but the memories created.


No comments: