Sunday 11 May 2008

Ringing Birds and Nest Boxes


Over the past couple of days, I was well outside of my comfort zone as I have been learning a skill that I have wanted to learn for years.

Since I was a child I have wondered about bird ringing, and while I wanted to learn how to do this, the opportunities were not there. Further, while I was interested, I was always worried about handling such small delicate creatures.

Anyway, while talking to a fellow naturalist I was offered the opportunity to help and learn what is needed. I was not allowed to fit any of the rings, but I had the chance to handle the birds, there is a right way of doing it, and releasing them.

The experience was amazing but while I think will continue to see if I can earn my licence, I doubt that I will ever gain the speed or confidence to be that skilled.

However, it was the other aspect of my time at this location that really put me out of my comfort zone. I was helping put up Bird and Bat Boxes. I am not comfortable working at hight, I can do it if allowed to go at my own pace.

The first day was fine, I was able to work at a pace and in a way that I was comfortable with as the people I was helping were fine with that. The following day I was working with people who were far less willing to accept my unease. In fact they were rather reckless in their attitude towards working safely. This included them deliberately shacking the ladder while I was at the top. Not good at the best of times, but I had an Owl Box in my hands at the time.

Anyway, I ended up feeling that I was unwilling to risk helping on this project.

This morning however, I had a visit from the head of the project who apologised about the behaviour of some of what I had thought were volunteers but were actually citizen who were serving community service orders, awarded by the courts. No one had told me that they were convicted people, as I should have been. Additionally, I should not have been left to supervise these persons on my own, without professional support.

Anyway while the whole experience was not perfect, altogether more than one hundred extra nest boxes were put up and mainly for birds that are rare or endangered. While the nest boxes are unlikely to be used this year, next year they will be. There was a delay caused by getting the risk assessment passed by the landowner. But at least the boxes are up and ready for use next year.

While I took loads of pictures of what we were doing, I now discover that I can not use any of them as anything that risks disclosing the identity of the criminals that were working on the project, would breach their human rights. Its a crazy world we live in.


Anyway, the picture here is of an Alder that is just bursting into leaf.


No comments: