Monday 5 May 2008

International Dawn Chorus Day

Today, 4th May, was International Dawn Chorus Day. I decided to mark the day by heading out to listen to the dawn chorus. While I was tempted to try and record it, as I had other matters on my mind, see previous posting, I just wanted to absorb myself in the experience.

I headed off to a track in my local woods where I know that many species of birds sing in the morning. Even though it was before four in the morning, and before sunrise, there was still enough light to see reasonably well. I spotted a barn owl out hunting almost the moment I got to the edge of the forest. I spent the next hour watching this pair of Barn Owls as they were hunting on some marshy ground. The ghost like forms were a delight to watch. As one flew silently from one side of this open ground to the other and landed in it perch, so the other would fly back. Initially I thought it was one bird, but I soon realised it was a pair. The behaviour was rather unusual so I stayed to observe. Eventually, one of the birds, I think it was the male but as they kept crossing the field I lost track of which was whom, caught a vole or a mouse and upon regaining its perch next to the female gave her the food. When she ate it, they both flew off in the same direction. I tried to track and follow, but I lost clear sight of them.

I did find a pair close to where I know a pair do nest, but I don't know if they are the same pair, but based upon the direction the pair I had been watching flew off in it is a reasonable hypothesis. Yet being honest I cant say for sure.

I was by this point quite deep in the woods and as the sun was now begging to rise, I walked home slowly and shared my joy with the birds who were singing for me. I never saw anyone else in the forest, even though I was traversing the most frequented areas of the wood, so there was no one to share my joy but the birds who were singing their hearts out for me.


No comments: