Sunday 18 May 2008

Grass Snake Sighting

Well if the weather of the last week is anything to judge by, it looks as if we have had our summer here. I have been made jealous by seeing the weather forecast from other parts of the country, but this morning we all shared the rain. Therefore, I was not expecting to see to much this morning when I went out for a walk. After all most wildlife will avoid the rain, unlike odd ball hippy wildlife watchers.

However I thought I would take advantage of the wet ground to see if I could find tracks or signs. Apart from dogs paws there seemed to be very little signs of anything. So I went down to the river to see if anything was active down there, not expecting to see much. After a stroll, well more of a slide, I found myself close to where the grass snake winter quarters were built last year, so I thought I would see if there was anything utilising this.

While the Grass Snakes would not have used it for hibernation this winter, many other creatures could have and may be using it. Therefore I was delighted to see a grass snake near the structure. I tried to move quickly and went... well my back and buttocks were wet and caked in mud. I lost sight of the snake. I suspect that this mouse frightened it off and into the water.

There are times when constructing something like this doesn't have the desired effect, but if I haven't frightened this one off, it looks as though the effort was worth while.

Well I must be a glutton for punishment as as soon as this posting is sent, I will be heading out looking for the badgers.



No comments: