Monday 26 May 2008

Great Tit

As my regular reader will have realised, I am nuts about wildlife, although those that really know me would tell you that I am just nuts! Therefore it will not surprise my UK readers that I am looking forward to the start of Springwatch this Monday. Now because I want to share this with my now confused reader from overseas, Springwatch is a programme that Aunty Beeb (the BBC) has done for the last four years where the Natural History Unit descend upon a farm in Devon and watch birds in their various nests. While reality television bores the pants off me, and yes I would rather run around naked than watch Big Brother, this is the only form of live reality TV that I would watch.

I don't think that anyone apart from the BBC could have or would have ever tried something like this. Nor do I think anyone but Aunty Beeb could have made it work.

So for the next three weeks I will be putting up my do not disturb sign (I am disturbed enough) and I will do more TV watching in these three weeks that I normally do in three months.
Because of listening to things like Natures Voice the RSPB podcast, I already know that the Springwatch team are moving from Devon to Norfolk this year, and Simon King will be up in Scotland watching an Osprey Nest.

As I have been so busy getting out and about watching wildlife for real, it will be a welcome break to have all the hard work done by professionals for a change.
So if anyone wants to find me for the next three weeks, I am sitting on my nest, letting Kate Humble and Co entertain me.


Here is a very short film showing a greedy great tit, part of my own Spring watch. Also just to ensure that I don't make my overseas friends jealous, here's a link to the web cam that is watching the same Osprey nest that will star in the show.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

your tit looks a bit like our black capped chicadee (the latter most likely an native name, which mimics one of the calls).

ps your google ad is how to get rid of birds. :)

tree