Saturday 3 January 2009

Hibernation




Wood Mouse pokes his head out of the nest and sniffs the air, he asks two questions; is it safe to come out now? Has the Bah Humbug season ended?

While I do wish everyone a happy new year, I personally hate this season of consumerism and excess. While there is a much older pre history winter festival that was a celebration of life, what mainly happens now is a symptom of the greed and excess of modern life.

However while everyone else was in stuffing either the Turkey or their face or both, I took the time to wander in peace and solitude. With only the birds and animals to share my space and time with. While occasionally I would see the odd dog walker in the distance and I was happy to share pleasantries with them, I did not speak to anyone when out.

I did get to chat to Kith and Kin and communications technology really helps here, for the most part I was able to relax and ignore the rest of the world in peace.

Yesterday morning knowing that I had to start getting back to normal (abnormal), I was out early to get the papers and money from the cash point, I was greeted with the sight of a thick blanket of mist laying in the valley bottom. Had I had more time then I would have gone out to film it. But I needed to get some shopping in and that meant going to Consett. But it was a delight to see. Had I taken Pictures or filmed it I could not post it here as I have computer problems. This I am writing on a very old machine and posting even text here is going to be a problem for a while.

Well once I get that sorted though, I could well have some interesting material to post, as while on the bus going over the bridge at Blackhall Mill, I spotted an otter in the water at the banks edge.

1 comment:

Nancy said...

I celebrate New Year's since it is a good catchall holiday, but do think that the medieval people had it correctly fall in March, at the dawn of Spring, the logical start of a new yearly cycle. Today, only the income tax people appear to maintain that deadline.
Happy New Year!