Saturday 17 January 2009

Missing Girl, Could this have been prevented?

Now I don’t know if the fifteen year old girl that has gone missing was using the same site or group of websites that I contacted the police about, but this news story caught my ear on the radio news.

The News Story


I am not suggesting that had the police reacted intelligently regarding my complaint that her disappearance would have been prevented, but who knows. What I do know is that the group of sites that the company I complained about, were clearly allowing underage children on the site. While I personally made repeated complaints directly to the company they were ignored. Therefore, while the site may try to claim that they tried to keep children off the site, which in reality is BS.

Also because of the way the sites are designed and that membership fees can be paid (I am deliberately not giving details), enabled children to access these sites. In fact I would say that it was designed to enable and encourage children to access them.
While I doubt that even if the police had taken my complaint seriously, that this underage girl would have been stopped from meeting and going off with this forty nine year old man, but who knows? Would the police and social services have been able to discover their plans? How many other children are at risk? My own investigations highlighted thirty or forty, with as many as just over one hundred children at risk on the site.

I just hope that eventually the police officers that I dealt with are made to realise just what a serious mistake they made. I don’t want them sacked, as people may assume, but to learn from this, as their mistakes will have kept children at serious risk, but they should learn from this.

I genuinely hope that this girl is found safe and well. It may well be that she is in love with this man, but his actions are, or appear to be, irresponsible at the least. However, as this man uses other names, I doubt that I would lose any bet that he is just using this child for sex.

When I reported the crimes I had discovered, this was exactly the type of event that I was trying to stop. This has only hit the media because of the search for this girl, and I dare say even the police would prefer to keep this all in the shadows. But with all the failures in child protection that are appearing in the media, societies leaders, the authorities and the government have some hard questions to answer.


2 comments:

tree ocean said...

I was thinking about your previous post-have you thought of going to the media with your findings? Or maybe you would be best to take anon's advice...

Also, poor trouble, but I was wondering if she tried to scoot out the door and one of the police used his foot or caught her in the door to prevent her from escaping...Still rough handling but perhaps not with such malicious intent as just kicking her for nothing..

Nancy said...

You can't make the connection, WoodMouse. You aren't a cop. I'd leave the business to them, and unfortunately police generally don't take warnings seriously until someone is hurt or killed. It's the same all over the world, at least in democratic countries.