Friday 30 January 2009

Shopping and Spiders

Today I had to go into Consett for the greengrocers and the butchers. In the greengrocers I reinforced my reputation as being distinctly odd as when I was paying for my purchases I spotted a rather attractive spider that fell out of the fresh rosemary that I had bought. It was not that I spotted it, nor that I commented on it, but that I took out a collecting pot from my pocket and was able to secure the critter. Even though I explained that I intended to film and identify it, I got some distinctly odd looks from other customers. I think the shops owners were just amused and bemused by me.

Well they will remember me as just before that, I had made sure they were charging me the correct price for the celeriac that I had bought. The woman serving me was not sure of the price and was going to charge me 75p for it, when I thought it was £1.20. I was correct and they were genuinely shocked at my honesty. But as I explained if that happened too often, they would go out of business. Then where would I get my fresh Vegetables from?

As I left I heard someone say that I was a bloody fool, I think it was another customer. I don’t know if it was because of me hurting my pocket or collecting the spider, but that’s me, the eccentric mouse.

I also went to the Butchers, as I said in yesterdays posting I wanted so stewing or braising steak for a casserole, and I was correct it was about a third cheaper and the quality excellent. As I type here, I can smell the Beef Bourgeoning cooking slowly on the stove.

Also I bought a half shoulder of pork. That is in the freezer and I will cook that in the next week or so. It is one of the cheaper cuts and I will buy these cuts out of choice. Not only are they cheaper, but I am also aware that it is often these cheaper cuts that go to waste. Just last night was another programme in the British food season that has been running on television, looking at Pork. This was in part the inspiration for buying this joint. By buying these cheaper cuts can make all the difference to the farmers and to the small local retailers, as there is no point just eating half of an animal that has been slaughtered for our plates.

Also as I was posting just yesterday, in Britain we do have some of the highest welfare standards in Europe, and by supporting those farmers, I am supporting animal welfare. When I got home, on the radio while I was putting my shopping away was a piece about deceptive labelling on meat.

As had been shown on television last night the majority of consumers cannot tell that packs of meat is reared on the continent, and to lower welfare standards. Even when trying to choose British Pork, the majority were deceived.

For years the major retailers have argued that the British public don’t want to pay for higher welfare standards. But these major retailers are misleading us all, as by deceiving the public into thinking they are buying British, the reality is that people are trying to support the higher welfare standards of British Farming. The only winner out of this is the retailers with increased profits.

In the last ten years the national pig heard has halved. That is thousands of farmers that have been put out of business by the major retailers.

I wonder if any of the shareholders in these major companies would have owned up to paying more for an item that someone was going to undercharge for. Not many I suspect. I have often gone on about Fair trade; fair trade is about honesty, integrity and morality. It is clear that the major retailers fail on all counts.


No comments: