Wednesday 7 January 2009

Myopic Mouse

There was a song from the sixties that had a line; “A little Mouse with Clogs On”. While I think it was intended as a comedy song, to me it produced a rather surreal image in my mind. Yesterday, that lyric came back into my head as I had my eyes tested for the first time in more than twenty years. And yes you have guessed it the Wood Mouse needs Glasses! So perhaps the lyric needs rewriting?

I can even remember when I last had my eyes tested as it was just after the Lockerbie booming. Because I had just moved to the North East, I had been looking for work and had contacted all the Photographic Studios and Labs, without much luck I should add. And following hearing of the disaster I was called by one of the press photographers who I had left my CV with and asked if I was prepared to do some work for him. He needed to go to Lockerbie and he wanted to keep his time free to take pictures rather than processing the films. I got to see that event in all its detail.

On returning I had an appointment to see the opticians, and as I had missed the previously booked one being away, I had to keep it. Well I did not need glasses then but this time I discover I do.

I had been thinking that I needed to get my eyes checked for a while, so last week on the spur of the moment I booked a test. Well, that has turned out to be an expensive mistake. One hundred and fifty five pounds lighter, I have discovered a great diet for my wallet, I am soon to be the proud owner of two pairs of glasses.

Well I was beginning to feel like the forger in the film the great escape, and if I need them I need them, but it will be strange having to use glasses. I just hope that I don’t break or loose them. Also it just seems like something else that I have to carry around.


2 comments:

Nancy said...

for heaven's sake, woodmouse, you are lucky that all you need is glasses. I trust that you were tested for glaucoma? It's a serious threat, you could go blind. Above all else, take care of your eyes!
I get them tested every year but the recommended testing time is two years for adults. Your eyes change dramatically as you age so possibly you should have been wearing them for some time.
Good luck with them!

Wood Mouse said...

Hi Nancy, yes I was tested for glaucoma and it was for that reason that I booked the test in the first place. As there is a maternal family history of diabetes, I knew that I was a little over due getting my eyes tested.

It is just that it has ended up costing me, as well as giving me two more things to loose.