Tuesday 20 January 2009

A New Environmental Order

While setting up my new computer has not been that difficult or time consuming, as I subscribe to a number of podcasts that look at and inform about the environment, this had been the aspect that has taken the most time. That is because while it was easy to re-subscribe to the ones I regularly listen to or watch, but in looking for them I discovered a whole load more that could be interesting and or very informative. Often I find that looking at topics or stories from different perspectives can aid my understanding, so while I don’t always agree with the way stories are covered, having that other point of view aids my thinking.

One of the benefits for me regarding using these podcasts is that I often discover stories or issues that are just not covered in or by the mainstream media. Or when they do finally play catch up, I already have a fairly good understanding of the subject or issue.

Also, by listening to podcasts from around the globe, my perspective is not restricted to my isolation on a small island. As while I do think, that many environmental solutions can be found locally to meet local needs, I also feel that we are a global community, thus we also need to find solutions that aid the globe too.

While I personally find many aspects of the way that global trade has been implemented, I also feel that finding a way to trade in a fair way will provide solutions to many political, social and environmental problems that the world faces. The collapse of the “Greed is Good” capitalism that prevailed previously, while painful for many, could actually provide the opportunity to find other ways of carrying out commerce that is fairer and really sustainable.

Part of the obstruction to that happening is that of political leadership. Here in Britain we have our government providing further financial support to the banks, with the aim of trying to get the banks lending again. Now while I agree that it would be economic suicide to allow the banks and the banking system to collapse, I find it highly distasteful that the tax payer should support the idiots that made these stupid decisions in the first place. But most of all is that the solution that our leadership is offering is more of the same. The same borrowing and spending that caused the problems in the first place. To give an example, what perplexed me regarding the way that the media kept of talking about the problems people were having remortgaging? To keep on boosting the price of housing, the lenders came up with mortgage loans that meant that you only ever paid off a small portion of the interest and none of the capital. These discount mortgages only made sense in a market where property prices are rising. As only by selling the property on in a few years could the mortgage ever be paid off.

I do not blame ordinary people for getting caught up in this, but it has to be said that this was dumb. As would be trying to return to anything similar to support the economy.

However, even with all the problems that there are around the world, there is hope. In America a new president takes office today and while he does face all the usual vested interests trying to block the change that he will bring, this could be the day that the world really does change for the better.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't bet on it Wood Mouse. Not only is President Obama retaining the financial and political advisors that got us into this mess in the first place,he is actually taking advice from John McCain, a man who (like Obama) would do anything for power.
The two things that will change are these: Our President will speak in complete sentences. He will have a charming wife and family and a charming smile. Otherwise, we are still in the same handbasket headed for the same destination.
And I hope that I am wrong.

Wood Mouse said...

Often here when people start talking politics, I point out that no matter who you vote for, it’s always the government that gets elected. So while I do try to be optimistic, I will always judge people by their actions. The same goes for Barack Obama, as while he may have said many of the right words; it is via his actions that he will be judged.
I for one though will miss Bush, as his constant misspeaking, just kept comedy alive. The satirists here are all looking for other employment too.
However being serious, I will give the new president time to restore American standing in the world. And he needs to close down Guantanamo, stop torture by US personnel, and Stop the War on Terror. As you cannot have a war against a tactic then the phrase has not helped. While action needs to be taken to prevent terrorism, and stop terrorists attacks. It is the injustice that promotes, breeds and fuels terrorism, and if those issues are dealt with then dealing with these issues will make America and the world much safer than any numbers of troops or bombs can.
With the way the New President is talking about developing Green Industries, and then I really do think that there is a real opportunity for America to show the world how. Also personally I am glad that he is getting advice from across the political spectra, as that way the changes will not be done based upon Ideology but on what is right and what works.
This could be a great day for the whole planet, and genuinely have hope.