Wednesday 6 August 2008

Derwent Walk

Yesterday I decided that I would go out for a walk. Partly because the weather forecast was so good, but mainly because I have a project in mind and wanted to do some test filming to see if I could get the idea straight in my own mind. Some may call it the creative process, but I just think that its because I am a scatter brain.

Where I wanted to walk is a route called the Derwent Walk that runs from Gateshead to Consett along a disused railway track bed. I have walked the trail before, and it is easy walking I wanted to explore some of the paths that lead to and from the walk.

I should explain that while the trail is called a walk, it is also part of the National Cycle Network and the walk is also a bridleway so everyone can use the trail and that means you can meet anyone on this route.

While I could and have walked the whole route in a day, as I wanted to stop and film along the way, it was for me a leisurely stroll than a route march. While I can walk at a good pace when out with a group, I often find that walking with a group makes it near impossible for photography so stopping to film would be a major inconvenience for any group. That does mean that often I find that I can miss out on some of the gems of collective knowledge that walking with a group can provide. That said, when I am just taking pictures people passing are very friendly, but when filming people will stop and talk too. Often its just that folks are interested or curious as to what I have focused on. I will allow people to look at what I am filming. It is amazing how many people just don't notice what is about them. With botany for example, folks are delighted and surprised when they see a flower close up.

Now I don't know if it was just the mood of the day but the people that I met along the way were extremely friendly. I did make one gentleman laugh, he asked me if I was taking my camera for a walk, I was carrying the camera on the tripod on my shoulder at the time. I replied; “Of course as it needs the exercise”. While I did not think that it was that funny, he fell about laughing. Well I one person happy. There is a slight downside to this as when filming people will stop and talk to me, so the microphone picks up their quizzing of me.

Because of my stopping to film and my exploring I only covered a few miles from Consett, but I did stop for a late lunch along the way. There is a pub and restaurant right on the route. I had never been there before but I had heard good reports. I nice hot sandwich and a coffee followed by a pint of an excellent ale. Now I am not normally someone that will drink during the day, as the day had been a good and productive one I felt that I could indulge myself in this treat.

Anyway, I restarted my wanderings but the weather forecast was wrong and the rain came. But as I was heading towards home, I stopped to film the hover flies that were on the flowers. While doing that, a lovely couple were walking up the path. They were curios and asked what I was doing. We fell into conversation and they told me that in the field adjacent to the track I was walking down that a deer had been born there just the day before. It will never cease to amaze me just how much people love their wildlife and how willing they are to sharing their experiences.

While I have had some difficult days during the previous month, this month has started to shape up to being a good one.


No comments: