Wednesday 27 August 2008

Scaly Cricket

As I have been cataloguing my video footage I thought I would share this little clip. I had spotted this insect feeding on the nectar in this buttercup. I was not the first time I had seen it and had thought it was a beetle. However, I went back armed with a field guide and a camera to see if I could identify it. It took me time to relocate it but I found it or another individual, and filmed it. I did also try to take a still image but the still camera is not that good at taking close up images as it has difficulty focusing. While I do have cameras that better at that, I would need to carry a couple of hundred pounds (in weight) of equipment just to try and cover the whole range of species that I may encounter. I have though of getting an assistant but I can find someone that would not get bored. They don't get bored with the wildlife just me.

One of the things that has pleased me is that when I tested out the new camera that I got for Infra red, I discovered it was also great at doing close up and macro work. So expect to see a few more of the mini beasts here.

I may not be posting that regularly for the next couple of weeks, I normally post every day, as I am off doing some wildlife stuff. This could lead to some interesting postings latter though.






No comments: