Thursday 14 August 2008

Welcome to Red Kite Country


I have a wonderful piece of good news to report, this year the Red Kites in the area successfully raised twenty two chicks. Now I know that my regular reader already knows that I am nuts about the Red Kites, they are magnificent birds and I am always delighted to see them and I am lucky enough to see them nearly every day.

What is most remarkable about this reintroduction though is that this was a bird that was on the brink of extinction here in the the United Kingdom. There were just six breeding females left just a few years ago. In fact I missed out on a trip to Wales to go and see them about twenty years ago, as I was working and one of the people on the trip said when they got back that I had probably missed my chance of ever seeing them in Britain.


Therefore I am so pleased that in my local habitat, I can see these birds on a regular basis. When you consider that the reintroduction program only started four years ago, this truly is a success. Well the future looks bright for these birds, and at this rate it looks as though in another four years the population will be doubled. Soon seeing a Red Kite will become as common as seeing a Blackbird, well not quite but there will be a time soon when if I don't see them every day will be worthy of comment. This all makes this little mouse very happy.

No comments: