Sunday 17 August 2008

Otters on the River

This is a follow up to my previous posting, as the moment the batteries were charged I headed out into the woods. While I had something specific I wanted to try and catch, I was also just happy to wander and see what was growing or about.

The rain has promoted a lush growth and in the sunshine the butterflies were out in numbers. I was able to get some film of them. However I was more interested in seeing what other insects were about. In fact while I was filming one on a flower one of the mountain bikers walked past, its a steep hill to ride up, and said that would be a boring film, not knowing what I was filming. I just said “Oh you have seen my films”

While that was quite a cheeky thing to say, I was amused by it. It is quite heartening that so many of the mountain bikers when they saw what I was doing they stopped until they were sure they were not interfering with what I was doing and I was able to reciprocate by moving to the side or waving folks through. It is amazing just how helpful and cooperative people are. It just proves that different users can share this wonderful wood.

One of the problems that I had been having with filming was the Tripod. My tripod I have had since I was eighteen, so it nearly qualifies as an antique. And while it is firm and steady for stills photography, it does not have the smooth movements that filming requires. Therefore I have been looking at getting a pre loved video tripod. This I did get just the day before the plumber called to arrange the work that I have just had done. Therefore I was worried that I may not have been able to afford to get the thermostatic valves fitted. But as it turned out I was able to do both.

While I am off on this tangent, one of my American readers told me that in the US plumbers are known for the “Plumbers Crack” well over this side of the pond all builders and tradesmen have that, in fact I suspect its a legal requirement that all builders have the “Builders Crack”

Anyway as we leave that disturbing image, I received the new video tripod and even as I checked it out, I could see that it would produce the smooth pan and tilt actions I needed. However, where this new toy really scores for me is the speed that I can set the tripod up. Once I get used to the different layout of the controls I am sure that I will be able to snatch shots that I have missed in the past. This showed to be true while I was filming the butterflies.

Later I was down near the river, I was at the top of the high cliffs that are called the crags. As I was setting up a shot of the river in the valley when I spotted something in the water. I used the zoom to try and get a closer look. With the river in full spate it was difficult to see anything, but I spotted a head appear, an Otter head. I just wished that I had set the camera rolling, but I had not and while I spent ten minutes looking I could not see the Otter from this position.

Because of the recent rain I was not sure if I could get to that part of the shore line. But it was worth taking a look. Normally I wear camouflage clothing but I had a white tee shirt and black jeans so I was not sure if I could get there and ensure I was not seen. When I got to the shore while the ground was slick it was not unsafe. Therefore I decided to move along the shore. This particular stretch of river is not easily accessed, thus the wildlife tends to be undisturbed. When I got to one of the waterfalls that drain off the land, I remembered that I had a rain jacket in my bag. I was pleased to realise that I had my camouflage one with me. So if I could get to the right part of the shore I could ensure that I did not stand out like a sore thumb.

My transit was slow but I did get to a good spot and settled down to see if I could see and film the Otter. Last year during the summer the otters disappeared. This they do as they don't like people and especially dogs. However as I am discovering the otters are not really disappearing it is just that they move to locations where they are away from the inadvertent disturbance of people.

Well I stayed there for close to three hours, keeping still I scanned the river but no sign of the otter. I was just getting ready to leave when at a distance I briefly saw the otter as it entered the water. I settled down again but that was the last I saw. The turbulence in the water prevented me from tracking the otter once it entered the river.

While the sightings were brief it is always a treat to see the Otters. One day I will catch them on film too.

Feeling elated I headed off towards home tired and cramped and while I had not got the otters on film (yet), I have got some interesting film.

If ever I needed reminding why I love living here, this was it. Then to top it all I saw a Red Kite gliding over head as I headed home.


No comments: