Sunday 31 August 2008

An Historic Presidential Race

As ancient as I may be, I was not around when Kennedy was elected as US president. But I get the feeling that this presidential race has something of that feel to it. No matter who wins this will be a race that will go down in history. Not only do we see the first black man as a credible contender for the white house but there will also be a woman as a vice presidential contender too.

I genuinely feel proud that America has finally looked at the content of a man's character and not the colour of his skin, as was the dream of Martin Luther King.

While I personally do have my preference, for Barack Obama, I am fully aware that for some Americans a Brit saying anything about US politics and especially an election is taboo. But my preference is based upon Green issues and that I feel that the world will be safer with Barack Obama in the White house than McCain.

As Barack Obama has stated that his policy for America is to end the addiction to oil will not only help the environment, I also think that by America ending the need to trade with unstable states for oil will reduce the tensions in the world too. Al Qaeda only grew up as the result of the the West needing to buy oil from countries that repressed its peoples.

Also while I think that it could be a good thing to have a woman as the vice president, as Sarah Palin is in favour of drilling for oil in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge then I am against the McCain and Palin ticket on that major issue.

Well as I don't have a vote I realise that my opinion are just that, but I must say that what ever the result of the election in sixty five days, at least it will not be Bush.

In regard to that here is a video that I guess that most Americans will have seen but I just found funny. Enjoy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The more the word is spread, the better!Tree