Sunday 10 August 2008

Olympics

While I wanted to ignore the Olympics as you can imagine the media has been full of all the trivial details. Well I suppose the media has to justify sending all their staff to China.

As China discovered gunpowder I had expected there to be lots of fireworks at the opening ceremony, but as I saw this on the News, I personally felt sorry for the poor chap whose job is trying to keep the skies clear and clean. I can just imagine him saying:-

“Oh bugger I had just got the smog cleared, now no one can see the stadium”

However there is still the serious matter of human rights in China. To get the Olympics the Chinese government promised that it would improve human rights, as they have not then I personally don't think we should be there.

One incident that I have discovered is that one Chinese citizen has been jailed because he was taking pictures of the schools that collapsed in the Earthquake. I was willing to give China the benefit of doubt as I thought that with the eyes of the world on them they would avoid being so repressive. While I feel that it has to a matter of personal concious for the athletes and sports people, I don't think that its right that our political leaders should have attended the games. We should hold China to the promises they made.

No comments: