Tuesday 31 March 2009

Earning My Geekdom

I know that I am showing my age here, but does my reader remember the television series; “The Six Million Dollar Man”, The saga of my computer reminds me of the opening sequence.

We can rebuild him, Make him faster, make him stronger, but it will still have that annoying paper clip!

You will be in the middle of typing something and up it would pop. I am middle aged, I know how to write a letter.

As I was sitting waiting for Hard drives to format and software to load, the whole process seemed like that. As you have already worked out I have now got the new computer working. I still have components that I need to add, but I have got more than the basics sorted out. By running it with three Hard Drives, I will be able to ensure I don't loose data again. I was able to recover most of my video files/, but not all. I have also lost many weeks worth of writing and pictures. While I am disappointed by that, I will be making other adjustments to make sure it never happens again. Also having learnt a lot about computers, more than I ever really wished to know, I think I have earned the right to be called a Geek.

While it was and has been a slow process getting the computer to this point, sitting waiting to tell the computer what to do next meant that I was able to sit back and watch the steady stream of birds visiting my back yard. One aspect of the birds behaviour I did find amusing was the Ringed Doves watch for the Sparrows on the seed feeders and will pick up the seeds they drop. It was every time and the doves would leave the fat balls to gather the seeds while the sparrows feed. Additionally I was a surprise just how many birds were using my “Dog Bowl” bird bath. It has been a steady stream of feathered bathers and drinkers. Although I am not sure I would want to drink my bath water.




No comments: