Sunday 15 March 2009

Rant Rant Rant

On Saturday I spent the whole day trying to get the desktop up and running. The Linux software I had ordered had arrived, but as I needed it on a disc I was not able to download it. Thus I ordered the new operating system on a CD. At the very least I thought, as I had been told, I would be able to retrieve my files by using this. Well as the software came without any instructions or help guides, they are online, and the software locked out the broadband, I was left with a worse problem than I already had. It took me all day to get back to the position I was in beforehand.


It now looks as though am going to have to spend a considerable amount of money to get this problem resolved. Therefore I was not in good humour about computers at all. All I want is a computer that works properly, and I am annoyed that even if I spend the money, I may still have to buy a new computer as well, as the one that I have is so poorly put together, cheap and shoddy components, that to get it properly and fully working I will need to replace most of the major components. Mother board, Hard Drive, all the cabling that it may not be worth the cost. Therefore, buying a new computer may be my only real option. However that is not one I can afford at the moment.


So I am grateful that I have this old laptop to use, but it does mean that I am seriously limited in what I can do with it. For me the greatest lost is not being able to access the podcasts from I tunes. Personally I find these frequently add to my understanding of many of the issues regarding the environment, but often it is simply that they are entertaining. One example I could give is the many wildlife filmmakers that produce video podcasts of their wonderful work.


Also to go off at a tangent, tonight on the BBC starts a series looking at the wildlife of Yellowstone National Park, as I also subscribe to the podcasts produced by Montana Fish Wildlife and Parks, I would loved to have been able to cross reference what was in the television programme with the information that comes from the wardens and rangers in the park.


The importance of the computer and the Internet can not be under estimated. So much of our lives are now adapted to using the computer and the web that loosing this communication tool does limit what we can do. I will bounce back from this set back, but I would rather be able to just get on with what I need to do and what I want to do than have to worry about problems like this.


Well that’s my rant over, blush, but the people that will lie to sell us the junk they want to get rid off annoy me. At least I have enough to keep me busy and take my mind off these problems.


On a more positive note, when I was emptying the kitchen bin, I spotted the packet from the Soya mince. I was able to check and it was the Produce of Canada. While I do try to only buy products and supplies that are not from, or potentially from environmentally damaging sources, I could not remember where it had been produced. Therefore, I was pleased to confirm that I was not adding to the destruction of the Rain Forest. But it does show just how difficult it can be. As no matter how hard I try, I can not follow all the potentially environmentally damaging products on the market. Obviously it requires a degree of intelligence to try and make a judgement, but if only these products were not marketed then we could all avoid inadvertently damaging the environment.


It is funny, that’s peculiar, but when I went to get some bread today I took some of my recycling. This meant I had to cross a particular road and as there was a car coming I waited for it to pass. I watched the driver, mobile pinned to his left ear, collide with another, taking off the wing mirror. I made a mental note of the registration when the owner of the car came out. I was able to pass on my details and the registration number of the car. I told the chap that he had been on his mobile too. Well at least he may get his insurance claim honoured. I just don’t understand why people think they can drive with one hand, had that been a child and not another car. Well at least it was a car, I don’t think I could have refrained from giving the driver a piece of my mind. Therefore perhaps it was better that he drove off.


Well at least I have the natural history documentary to look forward too, as watching wildlife even on television always lifts my mood.



3 comments:

Nancy said...

Dear Wood Mouse,

You should never, ever buy used computers. They are being sold for a reason.

Good luck with your repairs.

Wood Mouse said...

I understand about buyer beware, but when people lie to you when you still ask the right questions that’s when the difficulties occur. With the cost already incurred and what I will still need to spend, I would have been better buying a new machine anyway. I had already been quoted around nine hundred pounds for a new one built to my needs. This will cost me about the same in total to get fixed.

The biggest problem with computers is always the BS that people who repair or sell them give. They will often just tell you about what they have available or what they want to sell you rather than what is right. In my experience “Computer expert” is an oxymoron

Nancy said...

I hope not, mine needs maintenance! but it has run very well for five years, bought new