Sunday 8 March 2009

What happens when you have a baby?

Now I know the limits on the cost of treatment for the cat, I can start thinking about the other things where my bank manager would rather give me amnesia to stop me thinking about. Being serious for moment, I can understand how difficult it was for millions of people before the NHS (National Health Service) here in Britain. Equally, I can empathise just how it must be for people in so many countries. As here in Britain we have a free health service, we do not have to worry about what the cost is should we fall ill or have an accident. Therefore, even with its faults and failings under the NHS, we get treatment based upon need and not the ability to pay.

While having to take an animal to the vets is not the same as having to take a family member to the hospital, but the commercial aspects are the same. I was fortunate that I had the money available to pay the vets bills. However over the years I have corresponded with people in various parts of the world who lack the money to cope with anything beyond what could be called run of the mill visits to the doctor. Further these are not always people who live in developing countries. I remember being told of one incident where someone on holiday in the French and Spanish mountains, needing to visit the hospital after slipping and suffering an ankle injury. Where his partner had to take a taxi back to the hotel to get the credit cards and other documents before he was treated. While I think that the situation has improved since that happened twenty odd years ago, it illustrates just how lucky we are here in Britain.

However while I was thinking about this as I was out walking and listening to the birds singing this morning, a question came to my mind. In countries that require, or where they have Health Insurance, what happens if you don’t have insurance and a woman is having a baby? I am not just thinking of America here even though that is the obvious nation that has that type of system. Nor am I trying to make a political point here, it is a genuine question that I have pondered upon many times over the years.

So I will leave that as an open question and I welcome any replies or response that come out from this. It is one of the great aspects of the Inter-Web thing, that I have learned so much about the differences and similarities of human life on the planet, that for me it has enabled me a better understanding the many facets of existence.



1 comment:

tree ocean said...

Hi Mouse. Well, here in the US it might actually vary by state. in Maine, supposedly one cannot be denied emergency treatment based on ability to pay. Whether that affects the quality of treatment, I would say yes-same as for what procedures they will do according to what your insurance will cover, or you have to pay out of pocket. They make sure they have that insurance info, or lack of it, before the doc sees you. As I can testify to when my eyes were rolling in pain over my burns. I do have insurance, and tossed my card on the counter and answered some questions before even seeing the triage nurse. UGH.