Sunday 22 March 2009

Weasels

Last night as I was laying in bed tossing and turning, I thought I could hear some noise or sound that was rather animal like. As I came fully awake I strained to listen and yes there was some sound, of what I really could not tell.

When my cat was unwell recently, she is now much better, she had made some rather uncomfortable and strange vocalisation and with this in my mind I rushed down to see if she was making these sounds. She was contentedly asleep however. Therefore I looked out of the front of the cottage, there was nothing there, but I heard the sounds again. They were coming from the back yard. I do put out some cat food there, and while I know that the other cats in the area eat the majority, it’s there for the wildlife.

Thus I was expecting to see a cat in the yard, but I spotted a creature that disappeared out under the gate. I did not see it well enough to positively identify it, but I thought it was a Weasel. I stood in the dark of the kitchen looking out through the window letting my eyes adjust to the dark when I spotted a second one. This I was sure was a Weasel, I just watched it quietly and the first returned just poking its head under the gate. This was the cue for both of them to run off.

I don’t know if the Weasels or a cat that had stumbled across them made the strange sounds, but I was surprised that I was able to hear them at all. I may try and set up a camera trap to catch them, but it was just good to see them at all.

After a cup of tea I returned to bed and slept all the way through to midday, the lazy oaf that I am.


No comments: