Thursday 19 March 2009

The Helpful Blogging Community

It never ceases to amaze me just what a helpful bunch of folks you lot are, so I will start by saying thank you.

Back when the Internet was still a toddler and I first ventured onto the information super highway, I was quickly run over. As while there was an incredible amount of useful information and some welcoming and supportive communities, I seemed to attract some of the folks that are now known as Trolls. Was internet-world Middle Earth? It could have put many off, but I persisted and even when I started this blog, and more particular in its previous form on Yahoo, these trolls seemed to follow. That is why I screen any comments made here. It save you having to read comments made by creatures that have not yet evolved beyond Amoeba.

However, this also means that folks can send me personal messages, and I can reject the comment to stop it being public. This has created some interesting juxtapositions where a cartoonist has helped me with computer problems, and a fisherman has helped me with botanical identification. However the most recent help came from someone who recognised my description of the flying pig on my screen saver, and that I needed a new battery for my old laptop. Therefore I was able to get a new one for twenty pounds sterling. I now have much more flexibility than I had previously. As I will have to wait to repair the desktop, it really aids me as I can still do my writing until I can get to inflict more of my video on you folks.

I also have been given a couple of cheap potential solutions to my difficulties with the desktop, I still need to source the software but if they do work it will save me a fortune. Therefore I will be eternally grateful to the helpful community out there in web-land.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I see how moderated comments might have some benefits. :D

Tree

Nancy said...

De nada, Wood Mouse. They used to say that the Internet made people lonelier. I have made many friends whom I have, in some cases, never met in person, due to this fine update on 'pen pals'. And I'm glad that the software suits you. Wish me luck--my computer gets a brainwash tomorrow...

and yes, moderated comments are essential on blogs.