Thursday 26 March 2009

Fighting Jackdaws

While I was attempting to fit the new internal power cables and leads to the desk top computer all of a sudden was the raucous calls of the Jackdaws fighting. At this time of year it is often the Males fighting over females and relatively short lived. This however went on for longer and was coming from my yard. I could also hear that there were some of the Jackdaws on the roof too.


Investigating I only saw three of them fly out of the yard and no indication of what had caused the conflict. I finished the task at hand and went to make myself a drink. The kitchen over looks the same yard and the same ruckus started. I saw a large number of Jackdaws on the telephone wires, the walls and hovering in the air but still could not see what was happening. Then I spotted one bird in the yard was pinning another to the ground, the one under the dominant male was on his back and the jackdaws were feet to feet, all semi hidden by some plant trays. I guess the fight was over food but I don’t know. It was over in no time but the scene reminded me of a school playground fight where you have a group gathered round calling fight - fight - fight.


I can often see human behaviour mirrored in animal behaviour, both good and bad. What made this remarkable was just how close I was to the event. I would have filmed it had I realised what was happening but by the time I had worked out what was happening the events had drawn to an end.


A little latter I saw one Jackdaw that had lost several feathers from one of its wings. It could still fly and was not impaired from this, I don’t know if this was the bird that was attacked but it seems likely.


No comments: