Sunday 12 April 2009

Bird Song, Sightings and Shopping

There are some days that just do not go well, others are gems that are just shear delight, Saturday started to look like it was going to be something special. It started the day before when the Farmer on whose field I had crawled over, called on the telephone.

Because of thefts from the farm he has been installing a CCTV system. While setting this up he saw on one of the cameras what he believes was a Pine Martin. Had he had the recorder set up he would have had it on tape, but that part of the system is in the Box still, or was last night. So with the IR Camera I went searching for the Pine Martin. I did not find it.

The Farmer and I had previously talked about possible routes and tracks the Martin, or some other member of the weasel family, were taking so I knew where I was most likely to see the animal. I made some Marmalade Sandwiches too as a temping treat. In the dark, even with the IR I missed the animal but they still ate the packed lunch I provided.

As I was not back till about half four in the morning, I saw no point in going to bed. I wanted to go into Newcastle for a Cheese and Coffee run, so I stayed up all night. I used the couple of hours productively as I have about thirteen hours of video to upload on the the computer. As this has to happen in real time, it can be a tedious pain. But I am getting there, an hour at a time.

While doing this, I saw the birds starting to come into the yard to my feeders. At the moment the most entertaining one at the moment is a starling that has to struggle to balance to feed on the seeds. I also briefly saw the Siskin again, it was hidden behind the feeder, I nearly mistook it for a sparrow. Then latter I saw it again, this time more clearly but again all to briefly, however as I leaned forward to watch where it was going I think I saw another. Do I have a nest near by?

When I went to get the bus for Newcastle, while I had the small Video camera in my pocket, when I spotted a bird singing from a tree top, I knew that there was no way I could hold the camera steady to film, so I just delighted in the song. I also saw that a Jackdaw is building a nest. Jackdaws nest there last year and I have been keeping an eye open to see if they returned. It looks as though they have.

As the morning was bright and fresh I kept my eyes open for what might be upon the air. I could see that ever perch or vantage point bore a Blackbird, a Chaffinch or a tit singing their welcome to the day. It was a shame that I was on the bus and could not share the melodies. As I neared the Heronry, I looked to see if I could see any of the Herons but I saw none. Then as the industrial landscape started to dominate, I spotted the silhouette of a bird on the ironwork of an electricity pylon. As I passed and the direction of the light changed I saw it was a Sparrow Hawk.

On its way into Newcastle the bus comes to the southern banks of the River Tyne, there standing at the waters edge was a Grey Heron. I was tempted to get off the bus, but as I had already passed the nearest stop, I would have to walk back and with the tide going out, it was likely the bird would move before I got there. Another time perhaps.

When I arrived in Newcastle, it was still just before most of the shops were open. Had I thought more carefully, I could have gone for a wander and filmed some of the wonderful buildings in the city. But here in Britain with the government telling the public to report people taking pictures or taking film of buildings or public places, I feel really self concious about filming in public places.

That said I did get some film of Granger Market as I went round getting my shopping. Again I delighted in the choice and quality. While I know I can get coffee cheaper at the supermarket, the quality is far superior here. Equally the cheese both in range and quality is better than anything the supermarkets could or would offer.

Having spent more than I planned, I headed to the bus station. I had just missed one, arriving in time to wave it goodbye. So I decided to have a coffee. When I was last there a couple of weeks ago, I saw a coffee counter that was heavily promoting its Fair Trade Coffee. So I gave them a try. It has been years since I have had such a bad cup of coffee. It was stale and burnt and had obviously been sitting there for some time. It may be that when freshly made the coffee may be fine, but this was not. As I was thirsty I drank it anyway.

I still had a third of the cup left when the bus arrived. It was no longer piping hot but as I had paid nearly two pounds for it, I was not going to waste it. Then the driver of the bus told me that I was not allowed to bring a hot drink on the bus, he cited their insurance. I really could not believe what I was hearing. Finally I was allowed on with it. It really is crazy as the container was so tightly sealed that it was nearly impossible to drink let alone spill.

On the way back I stopped off in Rowlands Gill. I wanted to get some Meal Worms. I had not been able to get any in Newcastle. They had dried ones, but for feeding chicks in the nest, birds need live ones. So I had another half hour wait. I was glad of that as I saw a Red Kite circling, yes I filmed it on the old wobbly cam. Then the real highlight of the day came as the bus started heading towards the villages, I saw a Grey Heron in flight and it was in level flight on a parallax course with the bus. For thirty seconds or so and getting closer, until the bus turned.

I was really feeling good when I got home and even as I was unpacking the shopping I spotted my pair of Blackbirds in the yard. I can spot they are my regular pair from the white patches on his head, and they were taking turns to use the bird bath, it actually a large dogs bowl, and its no wonder I have to refill it every day. I will have to film them in action one day.

Then came a phone call that I have been expecting but dreading for many months. My regular reader may remember that I was walking a woman's dog for a while as she was not well. Eventually she moved down to her family, and her lovely dog got rehomed with a neighbour there. Well the call was to let me know that that she, the woman, had died. She had Breast Cancer and had not been expected to survive beyond the end of last year.

Therefore while the call had been expected it still was upsetting. As well as her occasionally reading this nonsense here, I also regularly emailed her with news of my wildlife sightings, especially anything that I can not post here, as she really missed seeing, hearing and feeling the presence of the local natural history.

One of the first times I ever spoke to her was as we both saw a Red Kite, I mentioned that was four or five days running that I had seen them and we both started keeping a tally like that. She still beats me as she had 102 consecutive days of seeing a Kite, where as the best I have is seventy four days. Even when we phoned each other or emailed it always started with that latest count (reset to zero after a no Red Kite Day) then questions about the dog. I will miss that kind, feisty, independent, and determined woman who had a real zest for life.



No comments: