Thursday 30 April 2009

Swine Flu, The Media and My Critics


When the first reports of so called “Swine Flu” started, I started trying to do some research myself as I have long predicted that we, the human race, are facing an environmental event that will force man (the species not the gender) to start being more responsible tenants of the planet. I also believe, based upon the evidence, that there will be events that will reduce the global population quite dramatically.

This may be as a result of food shortages, drought or diseases. Most likely a combination of all factors. Not as some religious prediction, but simply that humanity has exceeded the population level that this planet can sustain.

Therefore I wanted to try and work out if this “Swine Flu” was likely to be a factor in this major environmental change. One that will change humanity. However, the more I tried to discover the facts, I realised that much of what was being reported as fact, was quite simply wrong.

Add to this was the alarmist way the story was being reported. Therefore, I tried to offer some balance to the “We are all going to die” way the media was reporting this. Having read the way that the news of this H1N1 flu has been reported, I can understand why some people are greatly alarmed by this influenza.

The first fact is that while it assumed that H1N1 strain was to have come from pigs as it appears to have emerged from an area of Mexico where pigs are intensively reared. However, while that may be a reasonable assumption to make, an assumption is not a fact. Further, so far tests in Laboratories in the US and in Britain have failed to cause infections in pigs. Therefore it may be a nice media tag to call this infection Swine Flu, it is a human influenza.

The Second Fact is that while it is a new variant of the N1H1 virus, as N1H1 is the class of virus that causes the seasonal Flu Virus. While any residual resistance from seasonal flu may not stop people getting ill, it is not true that we have no resistance to this N1H1 variant. As we all have some anti-bodies to fight the virus, until tests are completed we just do not know if we have no immunity or not. Therefore it may be wise to avoid catching this flu until it is established if there is some immunity.

The Third Fact is how deadly this flu virus really is. The initial reports of one hundred and sixty deaths, upon investigation by medical experts appears to be over inflated. In Europe Seasonal Flu causes two thousand five hundred deaths per year. Therefore the measure of how deadly this Flu really is, depends upon how many people have died out of all the people who suffered from the Flu but recovered with no ill effects. At this point in time, it is just not know how many people have had the flu in Mexico. If it is that only a few thousand had the flu in Mexico, then that is alarming, but as it appears that the numbers of people that had the flu and got well again is already around one hundred thousand persons, then at one hundred and sixty deaths, this H1N1 is less deadly than seasonal flu.

There is also the factor that Mexico does not have the same quality of health care as exists in Britain. Further the fact that many of the deaths have occurred in people that were health compromised already. Investigation by the WHO on Monday has shown that only seven of the attributed deaths were only the result of this flu virus. Even in the case of the death in the US, the child was ethically Mexican and was likely to be from a poor background. While in the US there can be the best medical science can provide, that often is dependent upon the ability to pay for this. Therefore, while the number of deaths is important but only when measured in relation to the quality of the healthcare and how healthy the people were before hand.

The forth known fact is simply that in the majority of people outside of Mexico who have caught the infection have only suffered mild symptoms. That does not mean that this Flu is not serious, just as Seasonal Flu is serious and needs to be avoided, but there is nothing about this new flu that means that people need to treat it like the plague. It is true that it appears to be easy to catch and that it spreads easily and it will become a pandemic, but even if the majority of people catch does not mean that it will kill off millions.

This is where I really do have a problem with this story is the way the media are covering the issue. I am not surprised that some people are over reacting to this. Had I relied upon some of the television reports or the newspapers here, I too would be much more concern than I am now having looked into the facts. As I personally am at greater risk than most as I have a genetic condition that effects my breathing, so I need to avoid getting this flu. Just as I need to avoid getting Seasonal Flu or any other infection for that matter.

The media love to frighten people. It is cynical, as if people are frightened they will buy newspapers or watch television to garner information and media companies, this leads to greater advertising revenue. With this H1N1 Flu people obviously need information and the irresponsible media have been swamping folks with misinformation. This can be from simply constant showing footage of people in masks. This leads people to think that these masks are effective barriers, when they are not. Only masks with filters that are small enough to filter out a virus would work. I wonder how may people are using masks as a result of what they have seen on TV? Equally to downright inaccurate reporting. Influenza is a serious illness, I Europe where everyone has access to first world medical services, Seasonal Flu kills two thousand five hundred every year, this new H1N1 influenza could kill as many as that too. But that does not mean it is a mass killing plague.

There are good reasons to be concerned and good hygiene measures need to be taken as well as work to prevent and reduce the spread. But the way this has been reported is and has been hysterical. This irresponsibility by the media could have a very real and serious consequence. As this new H1N1 spreads across the globe and gets into Asia where the really Deadly H5N1 is prevalent, it could recombine and mutate into something really deadly. The hype that is being created now could mean that when, and I say when not if, this happens the media hype now could make people complacent when it is really needed. People will hear the next “We are all going to Die” reports and say oh yes that's what you said the last time.

Only time will show if my critics are right and I am wrong. But my analysis is based upon the scientific data and statements made by experts in the field. Locally in Newcastle there is a confirmed case of H1N1 flu. There are others who may have the illness too, they will get on with their lives just as I will. I may ensure that I wash my hands more often, and avoid people who have bad habits like spitting or coughing and sneezing without covering or using a hanky, but I am not going to get paranoid about other people.

While this H1N1 virus is something we need to be concerned and aware of, this is not as greater threat as the media have hyped it up to be. If only the media used its influence on the real threats of Climate Change, Water shortages, Bees dying, The millions that go hungry everyday across the world (including in Britain), I am just waiting for the pictures of the poor celebrates sneezing that will be coming next.

I am genuinely sorry that some folks feel that I am not taking the H1N1 threat seriously. Had I been fed the same diet of relentless gloom by the media, perhaps I would have been caught in that wave too. Influenza is a serious illness and it should be avoided as it can kill. But I would point out that my first posting on this topic was that we should not be calling it Swine Flu as it is a Human Flu. The media are now calling it H1N1. Equally I pointed out that the deaths in Mexico may not be totally the result of the flu, now the media are starting to realise that as well. I doubt that the media will apologise for creating a panic, but that is what they have done. As I always try to do, I base my postings on the science and empirical data and I would rather base my judgement on that than some sensationalistic journalist whose last story was the colour of some C list models knickers.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

you are wonderful...when I read the comments on your last couple posts, I was enraged and wanted to fight back for you...but thankfully decided not too. You gracefully put the facts out there with using your power of thought....I am genuinly inspirerd. great post!

tree ocean said...

H1N1 is a combination of 8 different flu strains-6 are from swine, one human, and one avian. While pigs may not "get" it, the virus originated from swine.

A pandemic, if the WHO raises the level to 6, has the likelihood of killing greater than 1.8 million globally- a far cry from the less than 100K from seasonal flu.

The media is not fabricating those particular facts-they come directly from CDC and WHO-comprised of scientists who have spent years studying virus.

While it may turn out be true that the mortality rate is small from this particular strain, early findings in Mexico showed the mortality rate could be as high as 7%-far higher than the 1918 pandemic; the 1918 rate with current world populations would kill greater than 1.8 million.

The strain is rapidly spreading in the US, and while the death toll so far is one Mexican toddler, as you indicated, there is also the possibility that the immune system will initially react mildly, and then go into overdrive, which causes the fatality as fluid builds in the lungs.

While I apologize for my harsh words in my last remark, I would rather see the public react by wearing masks and avoiding large public gatherings than treating this as a false alarm, or as a typical seasonal flu.

I do have a science background, having taken microbiology and A & P from a professor who is also an infectious disease consultant. While I have not worked directly with virus, I have cultured virulent bacterias in labs and also completed a course in cellular biology, so I am NOT speaking as one uniformed or in panic mode.