Wednesday 8 April 2009

Rhubarb

Yesterday evening I was filming a demonstration of just how much fat there is in puff pastry. It is part of my planned food podcast, and I will get these done as soon as I work through my backlog of film. Well as I was pouring the fat off three things happened simultaneously. First the phone rings, see previous posting for details, and this triggered the cat to rub herself against my leg, as when ever I am talking on the telephone she knows she can get on my lap and get fussed. Those two things caused me to knock over the container the fat was being poured into and into the sink.

However I was so excited by the news of the possible nesting site of a ground nesting bird, that I nearly forgot that hot fat had gone down the sink. To late it had solidified. It was to late in the evening to deal with then so I left it for today.

After returning from my mud bath and causing a pollution incident at wherever my bath water disappears too, I tackled the problem by pouring a couple of kettles full of boiling water into the sink. At the very least it would soften the fat. As nothing happened immediately I decided I would go out and get the shopping I needed.

It was only a few bits of veg from the greengrocers that I needed as well as a trip to the bank. I also used the opportunity to get a couple of things from the Polish food store as I love to discover new things. While not everything I have tried has been to my taste, unless or until I try I would never know.

Then in to the greengrocers, where I spotted some fresh Rhubarb. At the very least I can make a crumble. It is one of the things I miss with no longer having a Foster Garden, my name for an Allotment, as I do like Rhubarb and every Foster garden bar one that I have had, had it growing there. It is all about buying cooking and eating what's in season.

Even though I mostly take my own reusable bag with me, I still have to ask, plead and beg shop assistants not to give me plastic bags. Most of the regular shopkeepers know that I normally bring my own and will ask if I want or need one, I see that I still have many more people to educate to my eccentric ways.

When I got back home after a cup of tea I had the sink to unblock. It did not take long and I did not end up getting a minor flood, but anything to do with plumbing is never my favourite of jobs. In fact in my cottage DIY means Destroy It Yourself.

With the sink unblocked, the washing up done and a stuffed Wood Mouse, I think I will settle down with a good book and warm cat.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

the boiling water was a good idea. Baking soda also helps with grease. Tree