Thursday 2 April 2009

Butterflies and Buzzard

In between loading the software and sorting out the computer, I have been doing some cooking. On Tuesday, I was just starting to make some soup, when there was a knock on the door. It was a good job that it was someone I knew as I still had a chopping knife in my hand, well this is now Bates Motel.

It was amusing as while my visitor and I talked, I had got the pan of soup on and ready to cook. Even by the time we had finished our coffee, I was ready to zaz the soup in the blender. My visitor was insisting that making soup was far to much hassle and it was cheaper to buy soup. As the total time it had taken was half an hour at the most and the cost was less than two pounds for three litres of Carrot and Coriander soup, I can not understand why some people are so reluctant, and so resistant to cooking. I gave her a taste and she loved it. I gave her the recipe but she told me that she would not cook it herself but she may get me to cook her some. While I enjoy cooking, I am not prepared to cook and feed everyone. Some people have a cheek.

The main reason for her visit though was regarding the supermarket bus service. It was interesting to hear of some of the other problems that people have had, I did not see why people were coming to me now the problem has been resolved. Well it looks as though some “Bright Spark” has come up with the idea of suing. Well I want nothing to do with that as no one has suffered any loss nor injury.

I have been having some fun with the cooking, and I will soon have a very full freezer. This is useful as I hope to start getting out doing more wildlife watching and filming. I can then return to cooking a quick meal, leaving me more time with the birds. Also I want to keep some free time to work through my video backlog.

Talking of cooking, I had need to go into Consett as I needed some items to freeze the dishes I am cooking. I have a good range of reusable freezer containers, but needed more. Also, I needed some labels as eventually I will end up not knowing what I am getting out to defrost. You could call it pot luck cooking.

While in town, I went to get a coffee as I had half an hour to wait for the bus. The café I went to though has changed and now just do take out food. It is a shame as it was the best I had found. I did get my coffee but it was not as good as the place I wanted to use. On the bus going back to the village I saw a buzzard soaring on the thermals, I had it in view for a good five minutes. There was a young woman who was laughing at me as craned my neck to keep the bird in sight.

I also noticed for the first time this spring, the Butterflies had taken to the wing. As well as many of the spring flowers blooming, it really does look like spring really has arrived.


No comments: