Wednesday 8 April 2009

Ground Nesting Birds

Yesterday I got a call from one of the farmers, here about, who thought that he may have a ground nesting bird nesting in one of his fields. While I knew the location, it presented a difficult place to observe the nest as most attempts to approach would likely be observed by the bird. That is probably why the site was chosen.

Therefore this morning I set off early in the direction of the farmers field. It had rained quite hard all night, and was still drizzling when I ventured out, it is this sort of weather that makes me question my sanity. As I had left the cameras at home and was making this a reconnaissance investigation I headed for the corner of the field. With the spring wheat growing well I knew I had the right field and the only way I could see of getting anywhere close was by crawling along the hedge. Where's a good psychiatrist when you need one. Well at least I can claim not to have lost my inner child, it was just the muddy outer adult I was worried about. I could try and claim that its all for a good cause, but in reality it is probably that I have yet to grow up. So on my belly I slowly made my way along the base of the hedge.

I kept my binoculars to hand, and watched the movement of many birds, I could not see the bird in question on the ridge where I had thought the farmer meant. However, as I lay there I realised that it could be further up the slope of the hill as the landscape undulates. Therefore I moved further along the line of the hedge remaining on my belly.

Even had I not been wearing camouflage, the coating of mud I was acquiring was helping me remain concealed. I even came within five or six feet of a vole that was travelling under the hedge. Several times the crows rose scolding me, but as they regularly argue amongst themselves this did not create major alarm amongst the birds feeding in the field. While I was almost wishing I had brought my camera, as I could have got some good footage of a pheasant, several rabbits and some of the corvids, I would have got it caked with mud.

I had moved about four hundred meters like this when I realised that there half hidden in the dip in the ground was the nest I had been seeking, and there was a Lapwing sitting quite undisturbed by my presence. I doubt that she, I am presuming it was a she, was even aware I was there. I stayed and watched for a good half an hour, but while it had stopped raining, I was cold, wet stiff.

Even more slowly than previously, I moved the fifty meters to the far corner of the field. I tried to work out where if at all, I could film from. Access would be easier using the field adjoining, but the hedge was to dense. Once in the corner of the field I took the risk of sitting up and that may be the best position to film from. I also spotted an easier point of entry as just over a hundred and fifty meters along that hedge was a small gap. That was my exit point on this trip too. When I finally got out of the fields and was up on my feet I realised I had been there for five and half hours. I was caked in mud but could have hired myself out as scarecrow with ease. There must be easier ways of passing the time.




No comments: