Monday 4 May 2009

A Divided Society

Following my posting last night regarding Class, and peoples attitudes, this morning on the radio was a discussion where a rather interesting fact emerged. In Britain there are as many people today who are employed in service, cooking, cleaning, gardening etc. As there were in 1860.

It really does appear that all the progress of the last century has been lost and we have a society that is just as unequal as was the case in Victorian times.

I was feeling disgruntled as while I do not claim that my effort stopped the trees being cut down, there were some in the group of people that I had aided who did not want to acknowledge my input at all. Also, there were others that had been happy for me to aid them, but equally did not want to share the praise for stopping the trees from being felled.

It really does show an aspect class division that because of where I live, I am regarded as less worthy of respect.

The group had previously concentrated upon the loss of house values that loosing the trees would create. I suggested that it was better to focus on the other benefits the trees provide. Further I discovered that in a House of Lords ruling (The British Supreme Court), that there should be a presumption that a tree should live and stay. Thus even if a tree may be causing damage all other measures should be tried before cutting a tree down.

However, one of the group who it turns out is a solicitor and had not known or discovered this aspect of the law. This irked him, I have now been told.

Anyway, I really do think that a major part of the problem with our society is that the people with money are looking down on us folks that do not. This leads to the people with money assuming that people that do not have money have nothing to contribute.

Well, it makes for a fragmented society to have these attitudes out there. I just feel that some people need to start thinking about others more.

No comments: