Saturday 9 May 2009

Does this make me a Daddy?


On Wednesday I went in to Consett as I needed a couple of things, I also got new bird feeder. Even before I spotted the Siskin in my yard, I have wanted to get a Niger feeder to see if I could attract Goldfinches and other small seed eaters, but decent quality feeders are not cheap. In the past I have bought cheap ones, but they often do not last a season. Therefore I realised that it was worth paying the extra for decent feeders that will last, as it would cost less, eventually, than replacing cheap ones once or twice a year.

I had seen one and I knew the price, but I reasoned that if I attracted these colourful birds it would be worth making the investment. Well I did not have to wait long before I saw Siskin's on the new feeder. I was doing the washing up, oh I have an exciting life, when I spotted several House Sparrows decend on the standard seed feeder. I noticed that there were a couple that looked like newly fledged birds, as they still had a little of the chick down on them. Wet hands and electronic cameras don't mix, so I missed getting any images.

As I was drying the dishes I realised that one of the birds was not a sparrow but a Siskin, as I looked more carefully I saw there were two. So the fifteen pounds I had spent on the feeder was worth it.

Then on Friday, I was in my office and I spotted a single brown bird. As I had my glasses on, I only need them for reading and using the computer, I had to take them off to look carefully at the Bird. I could see straight away that it was a newly fledged Robin. I have been regularly putting out meal worms and my regular Robin appeared to be making good use of them, as well as the Sparrows.

Therefore, I know that by feeding the birds I have helped to raise at least two broods. Does this make me a Daddy?



1 comment:

Nancy said...

A godfather, perhaps...

The robins in Canada are the fattest I've ever seen. They must be doing well with all the rain and bugs we've had lately.

Mourning doves once made a nest in a hanging flowerpot on my patio in California. I watched them raise four broods, and lose two to causes unknown. It was fascinating, and they were good neighbours for birds, never messing near the nest. I named the parents Walter Pigeon and Billie Dove, and the nieces gave the chicks names like Larry Bird, Leonard Feather, and so on.

I like mourning doves and have seen a few here, looking to nest in unlikely places such as the middle of a street. Canada Geese also nest where they please, occasionally right out in the open (I can send a picture of a goose nest on a busy dock if you like.)