Tuesday 26 May 2009

Out Foxed


When watching any wildlife especially at night, can create interesting interaction with humans too. Last night while trying to follow a family of foxes near my home and the village, I was passing by a house at the edge of the village when I was surprised by someone with a bright flood lamp. They had stepped out for a smoke and had realised I was there, thinking I was up to something, they had grabbed a powerful torch, with the hope of blinding me. That plan worked but it meant that I lost the trail while I explained what I was doing. However, it did enable me to get to know another couple in the community. I recognised them, and they had seen me and they had wondered what it was I had been doing wandering about and were delighted to be told that there were foxes about. They told me that they thought there was a barn owl about too.

I went back home for a drink, and to think about where to go next and if it was worth trying to find the foxes again. I could well spend long hours watching and waiting and have missed them. I had seen the foxes by the house earlier, just before inadvertently disturbing the neighbours, but as I was still trying to discover the families range, I needed to be sure I could watch without disturbing natural behaviour.

At the very least I thought if I could find a vantage point where I could observe the area near the suspected trails there was a reasonable chance of seeing the vixen and her cubs or the dog fox. I also took some cat food out with me and placed it next to a known path that was close to the area I planed to observe. With the cat food in place I settled down in the corner of a field ready for a long wait.

As its a bank holiday many of the young people had obviously been out in Newcastle or Consett at the night clubs. Thus, while I waited I could hear several cars and taxis bringing back pickled party goers. Now if I were more poetic or verbose I could find the right words, but lets just say that the sap of spring was rising. While I did not want to disturb or embarrass this young couple, they were a little to close for comfort. So I coughed to clear my throat and made them aware that the quiet place they had come to be alone was already occupied.

Having been out in the countryside at night on many occasions, I have had this situation before and discovery can illicit anger arising from embarrassment. However this time it generated laughter and hurried redressing, I did keep my back to them and my eyes averted. As the disturbance had probably ruined any chance of seeing the foxes that night, I shared a smoke and a laugh with the young couple. Explaining that I was out looking for foxes, I learned that I have reputation for doing weird things like this.

We were all getting ready to move off when and back to our respective homes, when I spotted some movement. We all watched intently as we saw, briefly, a fox and two cubs. We were all delighted by this, and I decided to move down the side of the field to see if I could follow the trail and find where the den was located.

While I traversed the hedge line in a crouched walk, it must be amusing to watch, but in the dark it does enforce slow movement. As I reached the far corner of the field, I needed to stand to look over the hedge. I had just raised the binoculars to my eyes when I felt something strike my head. I was wearing my cap and I looked in the direction the blow had come from. I saw nothing, but I felt another blow this time from behind, and taking my cap off. As well as seeing my hat fall into the hedge, I saw the Tawny Owl that had struck the blow flying off. I dropped down in case the bird returned, it did but flew over me without striking another blow. With no hat the talons could have caused me damage. I realised that I must be close to a nest so I grabbed my hat and retreated.

I have looked again today, from a distance, and I think I can see where the nest would be, but I had not realised it was there. I must have just been to close for the birds comfort and it may explain why the fox family have remained undisturbed. I think I have also worked out where the foxes den is and it is very well hidden if I am correct. How I can film there I am not sure, as I don't want to disturb the wildlife, nor my neighbours either.



No comments: