Thursday 28 May 2009

Wood Warbler


Previously whenever I put out Meal worms to feed the birds in a separate container, in minutes they are gone. So I decided that I would put a layer on top of the seeds in a seed feeder and see if that allowed a more diverse range of species to feed on them. As previously it was the jackdaws that got the lions share. While I have no problem with the Jackdaws, I always wanted the food to be there for a range of species. Much to my amazement this actually worked.

By making the birds work a little harder to get the food, I have had more species visiting the Yard. In providing a range of foods, I have had birds in the yard that I would never have expected to see. However, there has been one visitor that I have been struggling to identify. It was either a Chiffchaff or a Willow Warbler. Or so I thought. I have tried to photograph or film it, but it flits away at any sign of movement.

This morning though, I was up early, in fact I had not been to bed as I was out watching the Badgers, looking for cubs, I heard the bird singing and it was a Wood Warbler. Leaving a half drunk cup of tea, (that shows how excited I was) I headed out to see if I could film it. I had to guess the direction it was heading for, but as I could still hear a Wood Warbler song, I think I may have been lucky. Hunting high and low, I tantalising glimpses of the bird but not long enough or close enough to gain an image. However, while I was searching and scanning, I heard a Cuckoo.

Beyond brief sighting of a bird that could be the right size and shape, I did not see it but there is no mistaking that call.

I should explain to my overseas reader, but here in Britain, we don't have Scarlet Tanagers but we have many birds that are collectively known as LBJs Little Brown Jobs! Therefore often we need to hear them to be sure what they are, and they do oblige us by telling us birders their name in song.




No comments: