Sunday 10 May 2009

Swans Appreciate Sir Peter Scott

At the base of the statue of Sir Peter Scott in the London Wildfowl and Wetlands centre a pair of Mute Swans have built their nest. A fitting tribute to the founder of the Wildfowl and Wetlands Trust.

Some birds do nest in unusual places. When I first moved to the North East I found a Kestrel nest on the High Level Bridge. At the time my Cameras were still down South in storage so I could not photograph the bird but I enjoyed watching the pair. Also when I worked in an Horticultural Nursery, my first real job, a Robin made its nest in a clothes peg bag that was left on the washing line by owner of the smallholding. Everyone knew where to find me during my lunchtimes.

I am keeping watch on a couple of nest sites locally, and I hope to have film of these soon. But as I need to avoid disturbing the birds, I need to take great care as one of the nests is of a Buzzard, a protected species.

As some of my readers are overseas, I thought I would post this film of an European Robin to show that the robins across the pond is nothing like our one.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is a great photo with the swans. :)

Tree