Tuesday 10 February 2009

Australian Bush Fires

As I was researching the effects of Climate Change on places like Australia, it was painfully ironic that there was the first news of raging bush fires braking out there. As part of the hypothesis that I was working on was that the natural bush fires that are part of the ecology of the landscape would get worse. Not least because of the drought that has impacted the area. That was on Thursday. On Friday it was clear that the fires were getting out of control and I postponed making posting I had written. Then even as I was been busy over the weekend, I listened to the news with growing horror.

My heart and sympathy goes out to the people that have been affected by the fires. Not least the relatives of the dead and injured. The reports that some of the fires were deliberately started are difficult to believe. Not because they are untrue, but that people could do this and place people’s lives at risk.

There is no doubt that Climate Change is a factor in this event, but for now all we can do is offer what help and support we can to our fellow humans that have suffered as a result of this.


No comments: